Good for beginners (?)

I am starting a reef tank soon...What are some good beginner reef creatures to put in a 20G tank?
Also, would 96 Watts of light be enough for a 20G High?

scsinet

When dealing with nano tanks, light stocking is key to your success. Especially for beginners.
Although you didn't exactly ask for this advice... a 20g tank is not the size I'd recommend for beginners. I'd start with 55g. 75g is even better as setting up your rocks is much easier in a 75.
Regardless though... in my 24g nano tank I have a maroon clown, a yellow watchman goby, and a firefish goby. For inverts I have a small bubble tip anemone (certainly not for beginners, FYI), a handful of hermit crabs, snails, and a pistol shrimp. I had a cleaner shrimp, but it died. For corals, I have all soft corals. Some leather frags, some green star polyps, mushrooms, etc.

snipe

dont go by watts. What type of lights are these lights?
Also depends on what you want and all that. Some things are suitable and others not and some would be but not with the other thing you wanted. So it just depends what you want.

scsinet

I agree with snipe, but assuming that they are PC since nothing else but PC can come in 96w, I'm going to say you can keep what you'd want to reasonably keep in a 20.
You can't keep anemones in a 20, they get too big, require excellent water quality, established tanks, and experience. SPS corals require more stability than a beginner will ever be able to achieve in a 20 (such that would give experienced keepers a run for their money), so frankly I wouldn't keep SPS in that tank until you've been at this a while.
So sticking to soft corals (leathers, polyps, zoos, mushrooms, etc), you'll be able to keep any of that under 96w of PC.

scsinet

Because T5 lighting and new reflector technology got big in the industry and the whole game changed. Their efficiency and the amount of light that is dependant on reflectors makes such a big difference, PAR became the key value.
Your lighting pre-dates all that though, so it's reasonable to think of it from a wattage perspective (IMO).

scsinet

Yep...welcome to the hobby.
Changing tanks won't really make things any cheaper in the long run.

michaeltx

I say you are looking at a LFS for your purchases I would start looking online instead you will get much better deals and $500 for PC lights is a bit expensive IMO if you or someone you know can do some DIY work you can get retrofit kits much much cheaper!!
Mike

apos

A lot of people think smaller is easier. It may or may not be cheaper, but its certainly not easier. The smaller you go, the less room for error you have.
500$ for just a PC light is insane.
What did you get for 400$? I mean, regular 20gal tanks are only like 15$, plus a small stand: that can't even come to 100$ by itself, and those tend to be among the most expensive. I hope you got a good protein skimmer for that 400$

S

sexyshrimp101

Originally Posted by Charred Salad
http:///forum/post/2456136
well i already spent $400+ on my 20G...so yeah. And with the light that would be $500
I think he/she meant they already spent $400, and then with the light added on ($100 for the lights), the new total would be $500 (correct me if i'm wrong
)

lizzy

Originally Posted by sexyshrimp101
http:///forum/post/2456606
I think he/she meant they already spent $400, and then with the light added on ($100 for the lights), the new total would be $500 (correct me if i'm wrong
)
Agreed!

apos

Oops, yeah. 100$ for lights isn't bad at all.
I still hope you got a good protein skimmer for that 400$ though.

walkerbrody

I would go with xenia for coral. It looks good, spreads fast, is cheap, and is forgiving of most water and lighting conditions. Clownfish have been known to host it. Xenia does fairly well with mushrooms and leathers as long as you dont let it overgrow them.