Good idea? Buying established tank

jessi p

I am very interested in buying a saltwater set up and have the chance to purchase a 75 gallon tank for $500. It contains live rock, fish, crabs, coral, lights, sump pump, protein skimmer. The fish are a blue damsel, some "black and white striped ones" (2, 3 or 4 stripe damsels?) and some crabs.
Is this a good idea? What Qs should I ask when I go to see this set up? What are signs to look for, good and bad?
Thanks a ton, Jessi P

puffer32

It really depends on what you personally want to keep. I wouldn't buy an existing setup, because half the fun is making it yours, with your choice of fish and coral. Also what kind of shape is it in? Type and age of lighting skimmer etc. The lighting could be worth 500.00 itself. But if i bought it, the damsels would go, and you could always trade in corals you don't like for credit ot your lfs.

rackyrane

I bought a fully set up 110 gal tank from someone who was moving. This was my first salt tank and I haven't regretted it since. Well, except for the new obsession it has caused!

If you buy the whole setup, see if the seller is going to include everything that goes with it--i.e. test kits, chemicals, salt, hydrometer/refractometer, etc. I got all of the above plus many other things including books in my sale price.
I agree with the previous poster in that you can get rid of the stuff in the aquarium that you don't want. You can make the aquarium over to fit what you want.

patandlace

It sounds like a good deal with everything included. Even if you got rid of the livestock and started over. What kind of lights are they?

amelia

I got a used (set up for 5 years) set-up in January, and I haven't regretted it at all - in fact, I think it really is the best way for newbies (of which I am one). Our water tested great after 3 days of set-up. I've just heard or talked to too many people who struggle just to get their water good from the beginning. This (a used tank) is the easier way, I think - and easier may not always be the best way to learn, but it's a smooth transition into the hobby. Then someday if I want to tackle setting up from scratch just for the challenge, I can. In the meantime, I have an awesome tank with load of great live rock, and I'm happy with it. Have a great time!
Oh, yeah, and I agree with the person above who said away with the damsels - one of the blue devils killed $50 worth of my fish, and we FINALLY got him out (they're hard to catch). If you have to have something cheaper to start, get some less aggressive damsels - maybe like green chromises. :)

garnet13aj

I think it depends on if what you are looking for. I decided to start everything on my own for the experiences as well as the chance to take it slow. I thought that buying an existing set up would leave me w/a tank that I wasn't prepared to take care of. But if you think you've got the smarts to do it I don't see a reason not to. Also, a lot of people don't like damsels and you may find that you are the same and they may be a pain to get out. But it does sound like a good price IMO.

stdreb27

Looking back I'd get the existing setup. It is alot cheaper usually. Then from there add the stuff you want with the money you save.

jessi p

Thanks you guys for all the great advice! I went ahead and bought the tank today for $400 and the seller (an angel among men) is going to deliver and set it up for me for $50.00 tomorrow.
He said that the tank lights alone were over $200 and they can be bright or "min" - I think he called them "Min lights" for night time viewing? Newbie here, sorry. He is going to take the time to teach me his normal routine for taking care of the tank. There were 5-6 LRs and I saw the blue damsel, about 2.5-3" long. There are supposedly some crabs and black and white striped fish that I did not see but were no doubt hidden. My main concern to be alleviated by going with the already established tank is to have quality water to begin with, as well as a reduced price for the individual "pieces parts" altogether when purchased as part of the package. There is a stand, and protein skimmer that sits underneath the tank in the stand. It looks to be perhaps a 20 gallon? I am still new to all of this. The seller assures me if I could care for a freshwater tank I can manage a saltwater one.
Thanks again and I appreciate any good tips you can give a newbie. :)

joncat24

sounds like a pretty good deal.
You will have questions, when you do, ask away. Also might be nice to take pics of equipment so people know what they are dealing with when they answer ???

jessi p

OK so my next question is..... what the heck do I do with the little blue damsel as I decide that I don't want to keep him? Are there places online where I can trade/sell? Or is the only option the toilet, a flush and a wave goodbye?

jessi p

Oh, another Q.... I know you get whatever color algae you get, and this tank has red. Are there any special things to know about the algae? This tank did have some accumulation at the top of one corner... something to be concerned about or make sure to buy a fish(es) who eats a lot of algae?