Good news everyone

squidd

Originally posted by JacknJill
GOOD LORD! 180 for a cleaner shrimp? at my lfs they are like 20 bucks!!!!!!!!

They're from Australia...and probably get paid $150/hr.
Kinda like "Peso's" or "Yen"....:D

streetdoc

Originally posted by Switch
Im getting a custom made tank built fairly soon and im wondering whether to keep with the standard Australian style of bioballs and skimmer, or try for a sump/refuge. :notsure:
Why not both if you have the room? I use both and a protien skimmer and have no problems.

aidos

having both bioballs and a sump is something u can go and i t can work every well.
i get paid around $22 AUD an hour on a casual wage which id pretty high for wat i do, plus commision.
i dont know why they are so expensive but it may have something to do with the difficulty of catching the shrimp.....but i though u would use a net??? i dont know they are just what we pay. yes i am very jelouse of u Americans.
oh well.
:happyfish

switch

Thanks for the great info Aidos, i think im going to try for a combo of bioballs and a sump. I have seen a pic of a combo on here and it looked like a fairly simple design. I have also looked into the MH lights but they are about $1300 for 3 foot tank. The tank im getting custom built is going to be 2 foot deep and was told that i would either need MH or 6 fluros to supply enough light to the bottom of the tank. :notsure:
Theres a fairly large aquarium chain in NSW, Strictly Aquarium (not sure if its nation wide or not) that sell there own brand of aragonite sand. Its the only place i have come across it, but i was told is rises your PH level or something.
Im on about $13 AUD an hour, but thats because im a 1st year apprentice electrician. I have always wanted a cleaner shrimp but there just to damn expensive, but being able to get a cheap Australia harliqin tusk is always a plus :)

jacknjill

man, that would suck. 180!! istill cant get over it. but im getting a cleaner shrimpfor christmas. my friends think im nuts lol

chris19

One united states dollar converts to about 1.30887 (AUD), so the 180 (AUD) cleaner shrimp would cost about 137.52 in American money. Which is still outrageous out here in the USA. Correct me if Im wrong.
Chris

aidos

One united states dollar converts to about 1.30887 (AUD), so the 180 (AUD) cleaner shrimp would cost about 137.52 in American money. Which is still outrageous out here in the USA. Correct me if Im wrong.
yeah true the demand would also be alot higher in the USA.

aidos

Switch
Aragonite sand will raise u pH to levels that are needed for saltwater aquariums which is around 8.2 - 8.4.
If ur looking to get some MH, Jebo have a 3-4 foot pendent out that retails for around $900. it has 2x150w MH and 2x30w fluros, see if u can found out some more info on them.