Good news!!!!!

m000240

So I went and got a dremel and some diamond cutting bits, and took the plunge....and I made it through the glass with no breakage!!!! :cheer: I am thinking that means its not tempered!!!! It took me about 20 min and filled the bottom of the tank with about 1/4" of water to cool and lubricate and it worked like a charm!!!!
I'll post pics of my progress over the next couple of days!!!!
Alex
Honolulu, HI

farmboy

Gutsy. I like it.

I chickened out and went for the overflow box.

OFF TOPIC: I'll bet you all have some "killer" fish stores in Hawaii. :jumping:

m000240

Originally Posted by Farmboy
OFF TOPIC: I'll bet you all have some "killer" fish stores in Hawaii. :jumping:
We only have one on the island of Oahu that deals specifically with saltwater fish. Though we do have hundreds of great snorkeling spots and no laws against collection as long as you get the $50 permit. Which brings up the question, is there anything wrong with collecting live sand from a reef? How about a few fish?

farmboy

Wow! All you can catch for $50!
Just kidding.
I'm not sure what I would do. If a person knew exactly what they were looking for and could care for the critter, I don't see why not. I would want to be sure not to collect fish that were delicate and/or unsuited to captivity. (This is how Nemo got famous :happyfish )
About the sand, I think I've seen websites advertising live sand from the ocean floor off the coast of Florida. Hawaii sand has to be as good as Florida sand.

farmboy

Originally Posted by mitzel
call me chicken I'll stick with my over flows.
I can only speak for myself. Me=Chicken

m000240

Originally Posted by sleasia
Why didn't I move to Hawaii
Because it is so d*mn expensive!!!! $600,000 average home price!!!!! :mad:

matty0h_52

Originally Posted by m000240
Because it is so d*mn expensive!!!! $600,000 average home price!!!!! :mad:
please im in california. add another 200,000 on top of that and thats what people are selling the dumpy houses for. ive even got mine on the market for 725,000 and thats low! i wish i can just pick up the house and put it where ever i want.

farmboy

3 bedroom ranch with study(now bedroom 4) 2 full bath, open floor plan 2000square foot + home situated on 187 acres in quaint country setting. Less than 200K.

I Love Kentucky!

m000240

3 bedroom ranch with study(now bedroom 4) 2 full bath, open floor plan 2000square foot + home situated on 187 acres in quaint country setting. Less than 200K.

I Love Kentucky!

Nice!!!!!!!!
If I could only put a Navy base in KY....

escape2thewater

I Love Kentucky!

Wow! Thats amazing, you would be lucky to find a 30+ year old, 1100sf POS shack on 1/4 acre lot here in SWFL for under 250k! Must be nice!
Escape

m000240

Not to hijack the nice real estate market discussion, but I have another question about drilling my tank. The dremel is painfully slow, like 2-3 hours for one hole....
So I was thinking of getting a diamond hole drill bit for a real drill, like this: http://www.wetdryfilter.com/drilling_holes.htm
But they have 1 3/4" bits, and the bulkheads require a 1 7/8" hole (http://www.plumbingsupply.com/bulkhead.html) ....is there some secret math I'm not seeing? Anyone know how it works?

Thanks
Alex

farmboy

Sorry!
Didn't mean to hijack-

That 1.75" bit is probably the right one for the schedule 40-1" bulkhead. I would get confirmation from THEM before I ordered, though. You might just send the bit people the specs on the fitting, and ask them which bit to use.

I think the confusion (at least for me) is in the I.D. and O.D. Inside diameter and outside diameter. It seems like the bit should be 1 7/8" from the fitting specs. :notsure: