Good price on Ice Cap 660?

hip68

One of the LFS out here says they will sell me an Ice cap 660 for roughly $185. This is just the cost for the ballast itself. The end caps are $11 each for the waterproof ones. I didnt look at his bulb costs. Is this a decent price locally? I know ---- is tons cheaper, but this way theres no wait and they are brand new instead of used.
Lemme know guys :) I bought my Mag7 today so im getting close now to actually having water in my tank! WAHOOO!!! Another month or two and the tank will start cycling with a few pounds of Live Rock and some Live sand. YAY!!!!!

M

mudshark

we have a local lighting store here called t&L lighting selling them
for about $153.00 then theres the tax.... but 185.00 sounds
about average for a LFS

hip68

Whats the harness? I understand in a generic term , but what does that add that the ballast without the harness doesnt have?
Also since we are throwing this out there.. my tank is 60" long what kind of arraingement would be best? Long bulbs that go from end to end or smaller bulbs . I would think that going smaller bulbs, i could have more of them and get even more light? Instead of 4 60" bulbs.. i could have like 8 25" bulbs?

M

mudshark

Originally posted by hip68
Whats the harness? I understand in a generic term , but what does that add that the ballast without the harness doesnt have?
Also since we are throwing this out there.. my tank is 60" long what kind of arraingement would be best? Long bulbs that go from end to end or smaller bulbs . I would think that going smaller bulbs, i could have more of them and get even more light? Instead of 4 60" bulbs.. i could have like 8 25" bulbs?

Well the harness is the wiring that connects the ballast to the
bulbs. (I don't know if the endcaps come with it or not)
and as far as the amount of bulbs go... I think VHO is the same
as regular tubes when it gets down to this (VHO has a higher
output) but the ballast will be rated to a maximum wattage or
feet of light i.e. 48" = 110 watts for VHO so no matter which
way you go you will reach the max capacity of the ballast.
I would check out the prices of the different sized / wattage tubes
and make a decision on that and that if you use more bulbs, you
can get to mix the type of light you use better like 2 05's and 2
50/50's and maybe two sunlight..... and so on.