Good sand sifter?

keebler

Two questions in one I guess. What is a good sand sifter for argonite in a 30 gallon tank (reef)? I have snails, but they don't do a very good job. I have clowns a pistol shrimp and an orange spotted shrimp goby now.
Question 2, is there any product to eliminate glass scratches?

ds450x

I have kinda course sand and I noticed little bubbles in my tank after i had to empty my tank and reseal it then refill it with the same water and sand. The bubbles I can see through the glass into the sand? What is this?

keebler

Originally Posted by ds450x
http:///forum/post/2798184
I have kinda course sand and I noticed little bubbles in my tank after i had to empty my tank and reseal it then refill it with the same water and sand. The bubbles I can see through the glass into the sand? What is this?
I'm not trying to be mean, but if you have your own question you can start your own thread. Sorry, but that's the way it works bud. Well, since it's here, cyano usually is accompanied by bubbles, so if it is green, it's probably cyano. Dinoflagellates also have bubbles to them sometimes (I think?) So, if the tank is new don't worry about it, just routine cyano. Otherwise, you have a problem somewhere.

maryg

I know I will get in trouble for telling you this, but....
I love the sand sifting starfish. I have one in my 29g, 55g, and 12g. The two smaller tanks they are very small starfish. I would recommend you getting a very small one.

spanko

IMO Nassarius and Cerith snails are good for the sand bed. Sand sifting starfish will with time die from lack of food. However before the do the will ecimate the fauna in your sandbed and possibly cause a tank crash.

keebler

I have a few nass snails. No cerith, I have 2 turbos. how many ceriths should I get. Do they really do a good job? I am also going to add a spray bar, maybe that will help with my unwhite sandbed.

premilove

keebs, i am in the same boat as you.. but, I have 10 turbos, and my tank is a hex..I am also in the need of a sand sifter..

mr_x

ceriths don't do a good job. don't waste your money. what is wrong with your sandbed that you need it cleaned?

bigarn

Originally Posted by premilove
http:///forum/post/2798410
what is the difference
Sand sifters, such as a sand sifting starfish will sift through the sandbed depleteing it of all beneficial critters. A sand shifter will just plow through the sandbed and keep things moving.

ds450x

Originally Posted by Keebler
http:///forum/post/2798230
I'm not trying to be mean, but if you have your own question you can start your own thread. Sorry, but that's the way it works bud. Well, since it's here, cyano usually is accompanied by bubbles, so if it is green, it's probably cyano. Dinoflagellates also have bubbles to them sometimes (I think?) So, if the tank is new don't worry about it, just routine cyano. Otherwise, you have a problem somewhere.
Okay, it fits in with your question. Im just looking for a sand shifter just like you.

keebler

I am going to get the spray bar and the flow on the sand improved before I get a sand shifter but I do believe I would still need one. I understand your sand shifter analogy and I agree, thanks for throwing that out there.
And what about the scratch thing?

shrimpi

I loved my diamond goby in my larger tank as a sand sifter. It is important that you feed him also (alot of them will eat mysis etc. out of the water when you feed) because they can starve if there isnt enough critters in the sand (most tanks dont have enough to sustain).
I would get a diamond goby, they are cute, lots of personality and they will keep your sand crystal clean. IMO nothing compares to the sand excavating that the diamond goby does. You can even get a small one like 1.5" it doesnt have to be big!
I sold mine to groupergenious on this board because I downsized but here he was!
Good Luck.. get a goby!
Jess

aztec reef

Skip on the gobys, they just disturb sandbeds and eat beneficial Critters.
Cerith snails are one of the best shifters. As they dig into sandbed they help keep the top layers of sandbed turning-over and oxygenated.
The best sandbed janitors are the small infauna, pods,worms,micro snails, crustaceans ect.
The problem is that gobys have a strong appetite for this creatures, thus your sandbed is a little inefficient.