good swimmer for a 55

im setting up a 55 reef and im looking for a good swimming fish. i plan on getting a wrasse, but i want something else that will swim around a lot. a 55 is too small for any tangs or anthias, so im looking at chromis. ive heard that chromis schools are really hit or miss. whats everyones experience on this? also, what other fish do you recomend?

scsinet

Yes, a 55 is generally considered too small for tangs, although many will argue the point (I won't
)
The Wrasse was going to be my suggestion... there is of course clownfish or damsels, though damsels can present aggression issues... what about a midwater goby such as the firefish?

sepulatian

What kind of fish are you into? Do you like aggressive, peaceful, schooling, etc? There are many options available.

renogaw

a dwarf angel, clowns, wrasses, etc as already suggested. i don't know about royal grammas... i don't know too many people who can keep em alive.
fire fish really are not swimmers. mine just stays in one spot throughout the day. chromis are swimmers, but if you don't have a huge school of them, you'll only have one eventually.

macs2015

uhm, well i hope people wont judge me for this hehe, but i have a small yellow tang in my 40G tank and he seems quite happy with the damsels and clownfish. btw i love watching it swim smoothly and gracefully around the rocks. name's banana.
my point is, i guess if you have a 55 you can put a small tang in there. it'll be fine.

i already stated in the first thread that i think a 55 is too small for a tang. i dont know why people keep on telling me i cant even thugh it says so in the OP. thanks for the input.

Okay people, a 55 gallon tank is too small for the potential growth of a tang. Let's get off the subject, please. And people who have a tang, or is thinking about getting one, get a tank 100 gallon and above. Even if a tang looks happy in a tank that small , maybe it is swimming around looking for more space. Please leave a tang be if you don't have a tank 100 gallons and above. It's that simple. Be tempted to get a fish that is smaller and that requires less space so people can stop explaining the importance of a LARGE tank for tangs.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by niskyvaulter
http:///forum/post/2626782
its a community tank, so peaceful.
For community/peaceful, go with a pair of clowns, a blennie, possibly a goby, a cardinal, maybe a dwarf angel. Take a look at these kinds of fish and specify what you like.

R

rcreations

A dwarf angel like a flame angel is one of the best swimmers around. These guys never stand still and are pretty outgoing.

i would like to get a pygmy angel, but im going sos, so im not sure how it might work. i think that between two clowns and a wrasse ill have enough movement to satisfy me. thanks for the advice everyone.

renogaw;2626870 said:
i don't know too many people who can keep em alive. (About the Royal Gramma)
Why is this and what is the usual life-span for home aquariums?
I got mine when it was pretty small and he's doing great so far.....Feb 2008 (so almost 4 months now) and growing like a weed.