Good Temp Controller?

S

saltycrab

I have two heaters in my 46 gallon tank and the thermostats seem to have a hard time keeping the temp where I want. They turn on and off at random times. What I need is something I can plug them into that will monitor the temperature and power the heaters when it gets too low. I know there are all types of temp controllers that can be bought but whats a reliable one for not too much money.

earlybird

I'm surprised you need a heater in Florida. I've got two and pulled them out because they never clicked on. I need a fan on while my lights are on. My temp ranges between 80-82. I can't help with a temp controller sorry. What is your temp range?

S

saltycrab

My T5s barely raise the water temp 1 degree F and since my house is kept at 76 degrees and I have a lot of evaperation my temps will drop to 74 or lower. I try to keep my tank between 76 and 77 F but at night it drops to low 75s because shoddy heaters. I have them both set at like 80 degrees also and they claim to be accurate to within a degree. What a joke.

scsinet

Incidentally, if you are electrically inclined, you can get the Ranco controller off that famous site where you bid on stuff. The controllers marketed for aquarium use are an off the shelf Ranco unit, with $3 worth of wire and plugs added, then doubled in price.
So if you can wire up a Ranco unit with your own cord and plugs, you can save a bundle.

S

saltycrab

What do I have to wire up, just a 120v cord? Is the temp probe for saltwater included? I was just looking on e-"Bid" and saw a few different models. I'm not totally sure which to get to control two heaters and some fans.

scsinet

You want a "dual stage" unit. Dual stage unit has both heat and cool settings, so you can use fans and heaters at the same time.
Basically, you attach a power cord and two receptacles (one for each stage).

S

saltycrab

Originally Posted by SCSInet
http:///forum/post/2453279
You want a "dual stage" unit. Dual stage unit has both heat and cool settings, so you can use fans and heaters at the same time.
Basically, you attach a power cord and two receptacles (one for each stage).
Good to know. This is what I'm going to do.

mckaax

SCSInet,
I was looking at the rancho site and they have 4 different models that are 2 stage.What is {(0 to 10 Volt Output
(1K Impedance)}? Some have it, some don't. Also if you get the 24 input voltage it cost more, that doesn't make sense to me. Correct me if I am wrong The 24v input would have to run off a relay and you could not plug it into a wall outlet. The 120/208/240 VAC input you can run by plugging it into a wall outlet. I would think the 110vac would be more sought after, making it more expensive.
Chris