Good urchins for a reef tank

I have lots of coraline algea and am looking for a little help fron a sea uchin to help me out a little
what urchin, if any, is reef safe
and if there isnt one then a good alternative

geoj

Urchin are bulldozers so I would not use them in a reef.
I would just use a glass scraper for coralline algae...

btldreef

Usually the urchins that will eat your coralline really are only going to do so on your rocks, and generally, eat other stuff along the ways.
IMO, if coralline is building up on your glass where you don't want it to, you're not cleaning that spot of your glass often enough.

flower

Hi,
Best coraline algae eater are the long spined black ones, with the little red butt. He never bothered a thing in my reef....HOWEVER, plan to remove the critter after the algae is gone, they starve, even in a tank loaded with algae...mine lasted a tiny bit over a year and then it ran out of algae, I had hoped that one area would grow out while it fed in another, but no...it lost it's spins until it looked like a pincushion....I managed to get it out before it died. I had coraline so bad on the side glass that even a koralia PH wouldn't stick with a magnet. Now I can see through the glass, it only has a few dots of coraline left.
Mine was huge, so purchase a very small one, and you might have a better chance.

Thanaks I might try a long spin but I'm going to need to secure my live rock.
I tried 2 little fishies aqua stick and its about a sticky as a brick
an tips on how to get it to work or is there anything better for underwater glue

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by clown-keeper99 http:///t/389485/good-urchins-for-a-reef-tank#post_3442708
Thanaks I might try a long spin but I'm going to need to secure my live rock.
I tried 2 little fishies aqua stick and its about a sticky as a brick
an tips on how to get it to work or is there anything better for underwater glue
You should not need to glue your rocks unless you are going for a cetain shape and design. You gently twist the rock one to another until you feel it "lock" into place and it won't move anymore. I have never glued my rock and never had a problem. My rocks stay put and are very stable....my urchin never moved a rock out of place. I had pincushion ones carry coral around but never bothered the rock itself. The long spin never even bothered the corals.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by clown-keeper99 http:///t/389485/good-urchins-for-a-reef-tank#post_3442817
well Its all stacked against a piece of PVC and if you so much as walk by the tank it falls apart
I agree with BTLDreef...why have you done that? Rocks slides are bad, you could break the tank or crush your critters. You need to get things stable...remove the PVC to start, inless you drill holes and use zip ties to hold the rocks, it's useless. If you want to build up....I use a big piece of fake coral. and stack the rock in a way that it "locks" into the other rocks.

Its one of those live frame things I saw in a magazine
there are some smaller rocks that are stuck in the cracks and crevices that have a tendency to fall out