gorgonian problem

prego511

I have 2 red and 1 yellow gorgonian in a 75 gallon reef tank. Ive had them for about 6 weeks and they would open up all the time, especially the yellow one. For the past four days in a row, I havent seen any of them open! Is that normal or are they dying or are they dead? They appear to be alive but they never flower for the past four days. Any advise would be great. :help:

mandarin w

Some gorgonian are filter feeders and some get the nutrients they need from your lighting. If they are light feeders, make sure you have the right lighting for them. If they are filter feeders then you need to feed them phyto plankton. So that may be the problem.
On the other hand it might be a water quality issue. What are your levels, including your calcium, ALK/KH, ph, This could be the source of your problem.
Then there are some that just don't do well in tanks, they will make it for a few months, then they go down hill.
Your question is hard to answer with knowing which gorgonia you have, there are some many different types. Several red, and several yellow so we need to know which ones, We need to know your tank levels, everything about your tank. level, filtration, How old your tank is, ect.
It will be easier to help then.

jerthunter

Originally Posted by prego511
I have 2 red and 1 yellow gorgonian in a 75 gallon reef tank. Ive had them for about 6 weeks and they would open up all the time, especially the yellow one. For the past four days in a row, I havent seen any of them open! Is that normal or are they dying or are they dead? They appear to be alive but they never flower for the past four days. Any advise would be great. :help:
It sounds like you are talking about deep sea red and deep sea red gorgonians which are filter feeders. Do you feed them filter feeding food? If not this is probably why they do not open.