Gorgonians

kiriokool

What do you think about Deep Sea Yellow Gorgonians. Do you think it is ok to put in a ten gal with about 1.50 wats per gal. i feed a flaming Scalop with Kent Phytoplex so i dont have to worry about food, and i am thinking about putting it right under where the water flows out of my filter. So should i but it. is it worth it :happyfish :happyfish :happyfish

Deep sea gorgonians do not photosynthesize, so it will depend on the phutoplanton you feed to your flaming scallop. It will possibly die if algae were to grow on it, so you would try to put it in a dark area of the aquarium. I have never seen one short enough to fit in a ten gallon, so you may have to make it smaller by fragging it if you do get one.
How much phytoplankton are you feeding your flame scallop? Because they require a hefty amount of phytoplankton in order to survive past a few months in captivity. That is, if it is even actually accepting the food you are feeding it. Even though it looks to be eating, it may not actually be consuming it.

kiriokool

have a turkey roster thing that i fill up about an inch for my scallop, so i would start filling it up about two inches. and how would i frag it just cut it off with an sharp blade. Also how will i know if it likes my food, and how do i know when it it dead

alyssia

Originally Posted by DVST8R
do not let it touch air

Air dosen't hurt gorgonians, that seems to be a common misconception here.

kiriokool

what do you mean,
how do i get it from the bag to my tank
I thought you could not mix the water of the bag with your water

alyssia

It will not hurt a gorgonian to be exposed to air, but it will kill sponges. With sponges you just have to bite the bullet and let the water from the bag get in your tank.

kiriokool

so i dont need to worry about the air thing, and hope i get a small one or i will have to frag it and sell the rest of it to a friend. How do i frag

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you just cut off a branch, and if you are going to epoxy it to the live rock, cut about a quarter inch of flesh from around the bottom of the frag, and apply epoxy to the revealed skeleton.

mrob

Originally Posted by kiriokool
so i dont need to worry about the air thing, and hope i get a small one or i will have to frag it and sell the rest of it to a friend. How do i frag
i bought one from this site about 2 months ago. It's a little smaller than the size of your opened hand. Fits really good in my 30 gal., but should probably fit in your 10 gal. if you're not crowded already.

tscuda

Well the easyist way to tell if its alive and eating is in the early morning it should be in full bloom. My blooms start closeing up at around 10 am. At night a few will be open.

tscuda

It means their feeding or trying to feed. Depends on how much Plankton it in the water. Its really hard to tell whats on their mind. But mine gets fed every other day 2 table spoons. It seems to be happy and heathy for about 2 1/2 months now.