Gorilla crab? For sure?!?!?

kat79

Hey everybody! This guy came with a piece of live rock that I purchased for my nano. He hasn't bothered anything yet (not that there is much to bother), but I need know if he ever will! I understand that Gorilla crabs have black claws..... he doesn't. So, is it possible that he could be harmless? He can stay as long as he behaves himself.

I just don't have the heart to kill him!
Thanks!

kat79

What a shame...... Fortunately, the glass cup trap worked.
He's been banished to the refugium of our 55g. I kinda feel bad. But, I guess that opens a spot in the nano. Any colorful, reef safe crab recommendations?
Thanks!

fretfreak13

I think all crabs are give-or-take when saying "reef safe". I've heard of people getting crabs and them being fine with coral for years, and then all of a sudden decided to snack on them. I have a SLF that's kinda cool, he changes colors depending on his background. Also, I saw something at the LFS today that's pretty neat, but had no money to buy it. Look up Staghorn Crabs. It was in a tank with a ton of coral, so I assume it's reef safe.
I also have a little pom pom crab, but he is small and hides a lot.

olemiss

Porcelain crabs are about as safe as they come. I have a white one that lives in pearl bubble coral and a fairly large blue/green one. Pom pom crabs are awesome but they have a tendency to hide alot.

btldreef

Originally Posted by Fretfreak13
http:///forum/post/3187896
I think all crabs are give-or-take when saying "reef safe". I've heard of people getting crabs and them being fine with coral for years, and then all of a sudden decided to snack on them. I have a SLF that's kinda cool, he changes colors depending on his background. Also, I saw something at the LFS today that's pretty neat, but had no money to buy it. Look up Staghorn Crabs. It was in a tank with a ton of coral, so I assume it's reef safe.
I also have a little pom pom crab, but he is small and hides a lot.
Staghorn Crabs are awesome! So rare though!
Originally Posted by OleMiss

http:///forum/post/3187915
Porcelain crabs are about as safe as they come. I have a white one that lives in pearl bubble coral and a fairly large blue/green one. Pom pom crabs are awesome but they have a tendency to hide alot.
Agreed.
My porcelain crab wouldn't hurt a fly. He goes between my RBTA, my fox coral and my trumpets. Their claws are more for show than for use.
I have issues with emerald crabs. Every time I put one in my large tank, no matter where I buy them from, they peel the coralline right off my rocks. I've watched more than one do it, so I refuse to put one in the 155G. I have one in my 14G that came as a hitchhiker and he's absolutely fine.
I also have a Pom Pom Crab in my 14G with the emerald and both get along well and don't bother anything. You can train the Pom Pom to be less shy, but it takes time. I hand trained my Yasha Goby to know that when my hand comes in the tank, she's getting fed, so now the little crab is starting to get the idea too.
Definitely banish your little hitchhiker. IMO, if you can't ID, it's a bad crab. Judging from the looks of his claws it's a bad crab. Trust me when I say that you don't ever want to have to deal with a bad fish eating crab in your tank!

btldreef

Originally Posted by carlos413
http:///forum/post/3187964
I have emerald crabs two of them. No issues!
I think I'm the lone one who has issues, and it's only in my larger tank, (had the problem in a 14 when that was the largest, then the 40 when that was the largest and again in the 155 - but not in the 14 anymore, lol) so I've just written them off in my large tank. Most people don't have issues with them.

browniebuck

Originally Posted by OleMiss
http:///forum/post/3187915
I think that what you actually have is an anemone crab...very similar to the porcelain, but different. Porcelains are more solid in color with stripes, while the anemone crabs are white with varying sizes of red/maroon spots all over them. They are both filter feeders, but I have found that the anemone crabs are generally out in the open more than the porcelain, which hide a LOT.
The first picture is the porcelain crab, the second one is the anemone crab.