got a mexican dragon eel today

vezina345

It's actually a jeweled moray. I have heard it called a mexican dragon but I've also heard that they are 2 diferent species.

bill109

Originally Posted by vezina345
It's actually a jeweled moray. I have heard it called a mexican dragon but I've also heard that they are 2 diferent species.
nice you should get one called a tessalate eel or something like tht i saw one for 100 bucks and was well wrth it

vezina345

When I originally go my 240 I wanted a Tesse but could not find one around here so I got my jeweled and my fimby.
Tesses are awesome looking eels.

psusocr1

tesse will also need a species only tank, if not they will make it a species only take in no time!

unleashed

Originally Posted by vezina345
the mexican dragon is concidered the same as the jeweled eel.same species but 2 color variations depending on the region it comes from.he the mexican.these are just common names given to boost sales and interest.there is only one type of true dragon eel listed though Ichtyolagist that is the hawiian/japanese dragon eel same species different region of the world..
heres a good link
http://filaman.ifm-geomar.de/identif...e=56&areacode=
as for someones comment about adding a tess and anothers as a species only tank.this is a single fish only tank species they can and will eat other eels including their own species.this is not an eel to take lighty .i know this from experience.my tess is 3 ft long

vezina345

Originally Posted by unleashed
the mexican dragon is concidered the same as the jeweled eel.same species but 2 color variations depending on the region it comes from.he the mexican.these are just common names given to boost sales and interest.there is only one type of true dragon eel listed though Ichtyolagist that is the hawiian/japanese dragon eel same species different region of the world..
heres a good link
as for someones comment about adding a tess and anothers as a species only tank.this is a single fish only tank species they can and will eat other eels including their own species.this is not an eel to take lighty .i know this from experience.my tess is 3 ft long
thanks for the insight, I never could tell from what I was reading on here if they were the same or not.

unleashed

oh i forgot to mention I also have a mexican/jeweled moray eel mine is aprox18- 20 inches now.mine is highly aggressive toward other tank mates be very carefull when handling inside you tank they can and will attack you also.to be honest my tesselatta has been less aggressive and hes vey aggressive IMO.during feeding hes been known to attack my large lion grouper and other much larger fish and other eels in the tank i have a total of 4 morays of different species

46bfinga

i paid 55 bucks for him.i know hes a jeweled eel(muraena lentiginosa),but a mexican dragon sounds much cooler

hes around 14" long and 1/2 the body mass as my other two eels.
i also have a porcupine puffer,a pinktail trigger,orange toadfish,and dwarf lionfish.
ill be sure to keep my eye on him,so far he has been kinda laid back and hasnt caused any trouble.there was a couple tense moments when i first put him in,but he seems to be getting along with everyone.in the next couple months ill be moving them all to a much larger tank,and im hoping that will keep the aggression down as well as making sure they dont get too hungry.

46bfinga

hey unleashed,got any pics of yours?anything i should know about him other then what you have allready posted?

shawnlx86

Originally Posted by unleashed
heres a good link

I've heard this issue come up before about there only being 1 true dragon. i have a ? I've seen this eel on another website called a Brazilian Dragon Moray Eel, it has the same horn looking things on it's head as the hawain and japanese dragon. what type of eel is it?

aw2x3

Originally Posted by SHAWNLX86
I've heard this issue come up before about there only being 1 true dragon. i have a ? I've seen this eel on another website called a Brazilian Dragon Moray Eel, it has the same horn looking things on it's head as the hawain and japanese dragon. what type of eel is it?

That is the true Mexican Dragon...also referred to as the Brazilian Dragon, as you can see.
There is MUCH debate over the common names of these different species. So much, in fact, that it is hard to search for the differences, with online research.
It's not a true "Dragon" species...only the Hawaiian and Japanese are the true "Dragons", but since it has the same type of horns, it's referred to as such.

46bfinga

that mexican dragon looks bada5s.ive never seen one before.i wonder what the chance are of finding one.i need to research and see what their temperment is like.thanks for posting the pic shawn