Got a Sun Coral..is this location in tank ok for it

emmitt2

Thats a good idea. The only problem i had doing that was my shrimp and fish. My shrimp from day 1 stole the food almost immediately from the sun without the bowl on top. I would sit with the baster in the tank for like half an hour keeping them off the sun while it ate. After a few weeks, the fish realized it was a free meal and started trying to steal it also. It got to be WAY too big a hassle keeping my hand in the tank that long to let it eat so i just went with the bowl.
If you dont have shrimp, the baster should work fine but watch out for the fish learning to steal from them also.
p.s.- if you put just a drop or 2 of selcon or zoecon in the tank, that will usually get them to open right up, at least mine do. Might help if you ever need to feed and it wont open.

05xrunner

ill try that selcon.
I dont have any shrimp as of now..but I got ajerk of a damsel that i am trying to catch to take to the store to get rid of

emmitt2

Lol, i can DEFINITELY see the damsel making your life miserable trying to feed the sun.
I had to take every single rock but one out to get the domino damsel we cycled the tank with out. He was the meanest fish youve ever seen!

J

jrthomas40

i am going to have to try the cup method cuz mine isnt doing well and it has never opened since i bought it and the guy at the store told me they only open at night

05xrunner

they are nocternal..BUT when you get them most stores wont take the time to feed it.
So you must try and feed it everyday for 1-2weeks to get it to open more and back to health...then it will open more for you and you can feed it. Once they are trained..I try to feed mine same time everyday..they will open up all the time.

rykna

Yep! Hungry little beastie. It's neat that you can train them....funny that..fish and coral train faster than dogs and cats!!!!