Got any idea what this might be?

kjohansen

I got some LR rock yesterday from LFS, good stuff and got some rubble for my sump area on my AP 24. Well I was waiting for the silt to setttle after adding my sand and moving it around. I had a couple of the small pieces setting in tank near the front.
I noticed a small snail like critter. Almost a copper colored hard shell and has a tan colored foot that seems to attach to the rock like a snail might. More of a leather type look to it than the slimy smoothness of a snail.
Any ideas what this might be?

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by KJohansen
It is looking like it might be a mouse cowrie..
Any Cowries must be extracted imediately.

kjohansen

Originally Posted by MiaHeatLvr
Anu Cowries must be extracted imediately.
I did take it out as soon as I saw it. Just to be sure, I also saw a very small worm swimming but I don't think it made it.
I will see if I can take a pic of the cowrie.

kjohansen

Well, thanks for trying to help all. I put the small piece or LR and the cowrie in my mixing tank that had been running for a couple days, but it did not last even one day. Cie La Vie..

miaheatlvr

Originally Posted by cjason3041
why?
Until you can definately ID the species, some species have a diet of only corals,, Better to fuge for positive ID'S.
"Cowrie" is about as descriptive as "fish" and we can't tell anyone much from that. Depending on who you ask, "Cowrie" is the common name for any snail that has a shell which is sort of folded around itself, and has a mantle which extends to cover it's shell (or part of it) when the animal is active (this would include both the Cypraeids and the Ovulids) or specifically those snails of the genus Cypraea. In either case, despite the claims of your local pet shop, most species are predatory (feed on animal prey) rather than herbivorous (feed on algae). There are literally hundreds of species of Cypraea, and their diet range is just as wide as the number of species -- ranging from general scavengers to generalized omnivores to highly specific predators. Many different species are commonly imported for the reef trade, and most look so similar that it takes an expert to be able to specifically identify them. It is common to see gastropods are misidentified in pet shops, and unfortunately for you as a consumer, it is almost impossible to tell what the diet will be from any common name (the suppliers give the animals simple common names, and unless the pet shop staff really knows what the snails look like, they have nothing else to go on). I often see several different species in a tank with a single name on them, and all of this is working against you when you're trying to figure out what you have and how to care for the animal.