Got everything now! ---- IF I AINT THE DUMBEST PERSON ON THIS SITE!!!

mixtimp

Okay, here's the deal. I have my 75gallon pre-drilled tank w/ overflow box. I have my wet/dry filter with pump. I have no freaking clue how to hook anything up. I have two holes in the back of my tank, and I don't understand how I am going to plug them up so water doesn't flow out of them. I have this wet/dry system, and I have no idea how to get water into it from the tank.
I don't know what my overflow box is even for. I've been searching and searching on this site, and nobody really defines what these things are. Everyone just seems to know.
Can someone please please help me. I have no clue how this god forsaken tank works!?!?

acrylic300

The holes in the bottom of my overflow go to the wet dry (or sump). Find a threaded pvc fitting that fits through it and put a rubber washer on it and tighten it on the bottom side. You can also put a stand pipe on the inside of the overflow (mine has prefilter stand pipe). You can run flex hose from the bottom to the wet dry (ridges make oxygen). Be prepared to become a plumber.

saltyj

MIxtimp,
You are not alone I have been in the saltwater hobby for about 5 years and I just bought a drilled acrylic tank and have no Idea how to hook it up. I am just doing research and having some local reefers help out. My advice, set it up in the garage (if you have one) and do the trial and error thing with fresh water for a while. Try different methods of running it and then pick the one that works, that is sort of what I am doing. Sorry it is not to helpful.
Jeff

acrylic300

You can run the return line from the wet/dry right into the overflow for now. You can do this without filling the aquarium (run a flexable hose right down inside it). That way the filter can start cycling right away. Later on figure out what holes your going to run the return line to (if its below the water line run a check valve to keep it from syphoning). If everything is balaced there should be no way for the wet/dry to ever overflow. When the pump is shut off the overflow should stop shortly after.

promisetbg

Originally Posted by SaltyJ
MIxtimp,
You are not alone I have been in the saltwater hobby for about 5 years and I just bought a drilled acrylic tank and have no Idea how to hook it up. I am just doing research and having some local reefers help out. My advice, set it up in the garage (if you have one) and do the trial and error thing with fresh water for a while. Try different methods of running it and then pick the one that works, that is sort of what I am doing. Sorry it is not to helpful.
Jeff
Jeff..You can come by if you need to see how to set it up..my 65 is predrilled...just call me.
Carole

jer4916

I had the same problem with my tank when i got it...i didn't have a clue in the world how to plumb it....anyways ....easiest place to find fittings for your tank...is to go to a place that sells hot tubs and stuff...there parts tend to fit perfectly...when i did my tank i went to : walmart,home depot,menards...etc like 10 stores ...and all parts were wrong....one trip to where they sell hot tub parts...and i found everything i needed in one place....so that might be an option for you
~chris

matty0h_52

If your tank is pre-drilled i would buy a overflow kit- it basically comes with 4 bulk head fitings (for different sizes) , all nessesary pipeing (usualy 3/4), and a PVC syphen with a chamber- thats how i got mine.

mixtimp

Just incase anyone is interested, or someone does a search for this thread later, I found something called an Overflow kit. You could go to homedepot or a hottub store and figure out all the pipe, fittings, etc, you need, but for $42 (including shipping) off ----, it's much easier just to buy the kit. Thanks again for all your help, and I'll take lots of pics once the kit gets here.

jer4916

paying your pet store that much is normal...mine is $70...and they suck...hence why i have a private guy ..
hehe

tinmanny

Your predrilled tank has a kit with the overflow pcs, you need to ask the lfs guy if they included it when you baught the tank. the holes are filled with what is called a bulkhead fitting one side has a hole and the other has threads or a hose conection when you have it you will see it is easier than you thought

mixtimp

tinmanny: yup, i figured that one out. the kit wasn't included with the tank, but i got it off of our favorite auction site, and i'm going to install it when it comes in :)