Got Him! ... at least most of him

sculdermut

Over the past week, I've watched two different sets of zoos suddenly take a turn for the worst, while the rest of my coral thrives.
This moring, I noticed that a third set of zoos in the same part of the tank suddenly looked bad. When I got home today, I found a very fat and fuzzy bristle worm munching on this set of zoos. I assumed it was his fault for how the zoos looked, so I tried getting him out.
In doing so, I think I cut him into three different pieces. I managed to get one end out (which is still poking around in the cup) and what looks to be his head. There was one middle part that floated away.
Can a new one regenerate from this piece?

excalibur

Just from what I read I would have to say yes, Luckly I haven't had any problems like that, I thought the worms were good for your reef?

tru conch

same thing here as excalibur, as far as ive read they can regenerate. hope its other half doesnt have the same bad habits.

sculdermut

It's not one of the common red ones. I've got hundreds of those, and they don't touch my coral. Since I caught him eating the zoos, the one polyp that was open is now all deflated looking; not very promising. Maybe he'll pull through.

dacia

Maybe you should get something to eat those bristleworms so they won't get more polyps! I have a hermit that loves to eat them as soon as they come out of the rocks.

aidos

bristle worms are segmented which means that very little section u see on the worm contains all the organs it needs to live, therefore it is very likely that u may now have 2 bristle worms, bit like the brooms the Mickey Mouse chops up lol.
maybe set up a trap to catch them if they cause more trouble. good luck

bona42na

Bristle worms are like cockroaches and mice, if you see one you have lots more than that. I have tons of them and they dont bother my corals. Maybe you should try feeding them. That would keep them away from your livestock. Good luck Peter

sculdermut

Oddly enough, after I read these last few posts, I saw my banded coral shrimp tearing apart a bristle worm (one of the small red ones). I didn't even know they ate bristles!