got my chaeto today...

salt life

I have all my lights connected to one timer, they turn on at 7:45AM and turn off at 9:30PM, is this enough lighting time for the chaeto to grow and do its thing?

salt life

the chaeto is in my fuge/sump, and my nitrates after plumbing my other 75g and new 30g breeder into the mix they went down to 20, usually around 80.

mantisman51

I got it in my DT. Every night at 10:00 p.m. I turn the lights off and the moonglows on. Every morning at 7:30 a.m. I turn the lights on and the moonglows off. I have given oodles of it away and my yellow tang nibbles it constantly. So from my experience, I would agree with the others here: it should be fine. BTW, my nitrates are nearly 0. My master test kit barely registers any at all. So not even 5.

salt life

Originally Posted by mantisman51
http:///forum/post/2963833
I got it in my DT. Every night at 10:00 p.m. I turn the lights off and the moonglows on. Every morning at 7:30 a.m. I turn the lights on and the moonglows off. I have given oodles of it away and my yellow tang nibbles it constantly. So from my experience, I would agree with the others here: it should be fine. BTW, my nitrates are nearly 0. My master test kit barely registers any at all. So not even 5.
thanks for the info, so far idk how to tell if it is doing good, it has good color so i guess it is "healthy" ? how long does it take to start growing? since I have eels, my nitrates were alwaysa bit high so I hope the chaeto helps keep it stable..

mantisman51

I put the cheato in around mid-August and shut down the sump when I did. As mentioned no nitrate spike at all. It grows about a softball size each month. Since my yellow tang eats eat alot, I'm not sure if that affects the total grow-out. I bought a large sandwich bag size from SWF and like I said it grows out about a softball size each month.

salt life

Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/2965129
what type of light does cheato need to grow?
people say different things but I went to home depot and got one of those metal shop light things and then a 75w twirly light and i was told that is plenty.