Got my first clam today!!!

spsfreak100

Very beautiful Crocea clam!
Also,
The T. Crocea has the strongest Byssal gland of the Tridacna clams. They do best when placed in a hard surface, such as on the rockwork (which is where they are naturall found). If you wish to place the clam on the sandbed, you should place a large shell under the clam, and then place that under the sandbed so eventually, the clam could attach onto the shell. A PVC pipe may also work.
Here's mine:
Take Care,
Graham

michelle13

SPS, that clam is absolutely beautiful! I have mine placed on a rock that is almost completely buried in the sand. I have 175 w MH and two 17 w NO's on a 29 gal tank. I haven't fed mine yet.

spsfreak100

Originally posted by michelle13
SPS, that clam is absolutely beautiful! I have mine placed on a rock that is almost completely buried in the sand. I have 175 w MH and two 17 w NO's on a 29 gal tank. I haven't fed mine yet.

Sounds good, Michelle13! And thanks for the great comment!
I've actually never fed my clam, other than the weekly dosing of Zooplex. My T. Crocea started off at 3", it's now over 4". I got the clam in February.
Take Care,
Graham

brooklyn johnny

Michelle as a science teacher you may be interested to know that Tridacna crocea is sometimes known as the "boring clam" as it secretes an acidic solution to disolve nearby calcium carbonate and incorporate itself into the reef structure for various reasons. Check this pic out to demonstrate...

brooklyn johnny

It's not mine. I found that in one of the many fantastic Japanese sites I've searched. What an amazing idea huh? Awesome... anyway with that said in inferiority I'll include an image that is mine, a top-down shot of my three maximas (purple, blue, and green)... among other corals. When my 180 gets back up I'd like to try the crocea colony idea that this Japanese guy has.