Got my new skimmer

mr . salty

Well,now I've done it. I got a CPR-SR9. It stands three feet tall,and the reaction chamber is 6" in diameter.It is rated up to 600 gallons. I also got the RIO 1700 pump to power it. It should push around 600gph through this monster.This is the "Killer skimmer" I've been looking for. All together I payed $225 for it. Now I just have to figure out where to put it,it's too big to go under the cabinet. But then,I don't want to hide it.

[hr]
MR.SALTY (I test my water with my tounge)

[This message has been edited by MR . SALTY (edited 03-31-2001).]

jimi

Sounds like a good skimmer Salty. A word of caution on the rio pump I had a 2500 powering my berlin that melted down one day releasing an awful chemical smell into the air and water. My mushrooms shrank, xenia and yellow polyps died. I did not lose any fish but am sure I would have if I had not caught it early. This has happened to many people so just keep an eye on it. Did you set it up yet? If not you may want to up the size of the pump. Alot of the time the suggested pump size is not really enough to make it operate efficiantly. The berlin says it has a flow rate of 500gph but I could not see how it would work when I have a mag 7 700gph on there now and had the rio 2500 after I read an article about most skimmers being under powered and at the recommendation of the store I bought it from. Anyway good luck with it.

mr . salty

I installed a valve on the supply line and even with the 1700 I am unable to run it wide open. The water level overflows. I think the problem is that the supply,and the return lines are both 3/4". I think I will try making the return a one inch line and see if this solves this problem. The skimmer is up and running now. And allready skimming a little bit. I also think there should be more bubbles in the reaction chamber.

[hr]

[This message has been edited by MR . SALTY (edited 04-01-2001).]

mr . salty

I have just added a wood bubble block to the bottom of the reaction chamber. After a few moments it has already greatly improved the production of foam in this skimmer.We'll see how this works.

[hr]