Got my PC lights, and they are dimmer than my florescents

giantregal

i got this: http://cgi.----.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
i have 3 10,000k 55w
and 3 actinic 55w
is it that the intesity is more , but the light is not necessarily more?
i just thought it would be a whole lot brighter
supposidley 330 watts
and i had before 100 watts
anyone else experience this? did i buy a piece of ----?
should i change the bulbs to a different brand?
dotn get me wrong they are not that dim, but they are not substantially brighter than before
thanks
stephan

giantregal

so is that what PC is supposed to look like?
i need some metal halide's then, i am not satisfied, i want more of a whitish bluish tone
would 2 175 watt metal halide's make a nice effect with the 330 watts of PC's?

razoreqx

Yea you need MH lighting.. YOu wont get that "shimmer" from PC lighting.. I was rather dissappointed as well.. I just ordered a couple of MH 250 electric Ballist.

razoreqx

Originally posted by RazorEQX
Yea you need MH lighting.. YOu wont get that "shimmer" from PC lighting.. I was rather dissappointed as well.. I just ordered a couple of MH 250 electric Ballist.

check this out.. Normal lighting on the fuge to the right and PC lighting on the display tank pictured left.. You'll see the difference.

giantregal

Originally posted by RazorEQX

how much did you pay for these?
i am thinking of getting 2 250's as well and putting them in my spare 48" canopy, as well as keeping the PC lights for a total of 830 watts :)
should i keep the PC's the way i have them? which is 2 actinic 2 50/50's and 2 10,000ks? and add 2 250 watt 10000 metal halides? or 20.000?

razoreqx

Originally posted by GiantRegal
how much did you pay for these?
i am thinking of getting 2 250's as well and putting them in my spare 48" canopy, as well as keeping the PC lights for a total of 830 watts :)
should i keep the PC's the way i have them? which is 2 actinic 2 50/50's and 2 10,000ks? and add 2 250 watt 10000 metal halides? or 20.000?

I got both lights for under 400 on the internet.. I can email you the link if you like. I plan to run my PC lights with the MH yea.

giantregal

i might get those, god how much does it suck to spend so much money on our aquariums :) i mean its worth it and all but DAMN its expensive

wester97

those bulbs appear to be just blue bulbs, and not actinic. The quality of the bulb makes a huge difference. You may want to replace one and compare it to the rest. Do you know what ballasts the light uses?

krowleey

i bought my MH through that company, so you can buy with no worries, they gave me a pair of ushios for 25 bucks each so talk to them about upgrading your bulb to a top of the line bulb, cause the ones they give with the unit are cheap.