Got my powerheads, now time to set them up...need help

hnf2k

ok, i got the 402's like broomer5 and mr. salty suggested. now i was told to have 2 at the bottom and 2 at the top in the corners. now here is the problem. i was told to have the 2 at the top setup so that they hit the front center of the glass. at the 2 at the bottom hit diagonally across. now, i have rock in the way. should i rearrange this rock so my powerheads have a straight shot? or should i let them hit the rock? also, these powerheads wont reach across the tank, they arent powerful enough. is this ok? or is mainly just moving the water and not so much as having to hit the other side of the tank?

nucknfutts

It's my understanding that powerheads make a current for your corals to get the nutrients from the water. I had a few people tell me to set the powerheads up and watch my corals to see that they get the right amount of current (the wave effect). I have the return line from my sump pointed at the center, 2 at the sides pointing at the front about 6" down, and a small powerhead at the botom pushing across the botom back of the tank. But this works for my system and how I have my corals set up. Ill probably change this set up when I get more corals. Hope it helps!:D

I have three true powerheads and the return from my UV as the 4th. Mine are behing the rock pointing out the various openings. The crabs have learned to steer clear.....unless they want a wild ride (which one really seems to enjoy !!!)

mr . salty

I have mine set as you do,with the rock piled up in front of them to hide them from site..But there is a hole inbetween the rocks where the output from thepowerhead is so it flows without actually hitting the rock...Although they don't seem powerful enough to reach across the tank,,Once they get the water flowing(current) there should be plenty of flow...Just be sure the top ones aggitate the surface...

hnf2k

how do you have them agitating the surface? i moved them all the way to the top and it still doesnt hit the water surface. do you have them on an angle or something? i can have them hit the surface but then they wont hit the front center for the glass.