got my refractometer/help me with it

posiden

Originally Posted by Tax lady
http:///forum/post/3130170
Fianlly got to Gulfariam and they tested my water. Seems like I was reading the nitrites wrong. when looking from the top, je seems to thinkit is only 10. So that would be good huh? But then why all the problems. Could it be my salinity ? He tested it at 1.030. After changing the water I just managed to get it down to about 1.028 or 1.029. Can't read it good.
Here are their testings.
1.03 SG
7.7 PH
10.6 KH
3.77 alk meq/l
0 amonia
0 nitrite
0 phos
1500+ppm Mag
500+ ppm CAlcium
0 copper
So just need to work on salinity. It was my mistake on getting it so high. It has always been low,and I added too much salt.
What are your thoughts?
It is nice they tested your water for you. Yes, you need to get the salinity down. Remember do it slowly.
Is there any HA in the tank?
The testing looks good, The calcium is high IMO. Nothing you can really do though doing so many water changes.
The PH could have been swayed from when you took your sample and when it got tested. To much time in the container.
What salt are you using now?

tax lady

Yes, some ha in tank. Not much though. bought 3 turbos and 3 of the other kind, forget which.
They said that it was great that the calcuim was that high.
I am using their salt water now and the next change, but my salt that I changed to is Instant Ocean. Is there one that you prefer? I just got this one and still have 1/5 of a bucket of the old salt. But I got a smaller box of IO just to try it out. seems o.k.
|I am still afraid to add anything now. What are some of the suggestions out there.
Think I still have to get ph up which I have been having trouble with all along, don't know why. And salinity is down to 1.028 now, so that is coming along.
don;t really know about the Nitrates.
The way the guy at the gulfariam reads it is to place the clear container on the color chart and when he can't see the color square anymore that is the amount of Nitrates he says it is. I always have trouble looking and telling what color is closest to the water. How does everyone else do it? His way it would only be about 5 or 10 at the most. but I seem to believe that it is higher than that. Any help or suggestions??

posiden

So if cheato is what you would like to do, it can be done quite simple. The easiest way it to find a place in your rock work or make a place to kinda tuck it so it won't go all over. Make sure it gets unrestricted light. A moderate amount of flow and your done. Pull it once a week and give it a tear in half, I like to rinse it by shaking it in the water change water bucket(the water you have removed from the tank) and place it back. It will grow from the display lights and use up the nutrients in your water.
Or........you could modify the rear of your tank and turn it into a refugium.

tax lady

My tank is a 24 gal aquapod. It has 3 compartments in the back. One has the filter sponges in and the other two could be available, but no light, so prob would not work ???
So, again, what is cheto for? Is it for the Nitrates? I will try to get some next time at lfs.
thanks,

posiden

Originally Posted by Tax lady
http:///forum/post/3131442
My tank is a 24 gal aquapod. It has 3 compartments in the back. One has the filter sponges in and the other two could be available, but no light, so prob would not work ???
So, again, what is cheto for? Is it for the Nitrates? I will try to get some next time at lfs.
thanks,
The other chambers will work. Your tank either has a sticker or paint on the back. You remove it in the coresponding chamber so you can put a light behind the tank to shine into that chamber. Then you put the cheato in there, run that light reverse from the display to help with PH swing.
Yes, cheato will use up nitrates as well as others. It should be cheap to buy. That is if you can't find another reefer that will give you thier weekly trimmings for free.