Got some corals!! Now what...

islandgirl

Do these guys need to be fed or do they just feed off what everybody else leaves behind? Any special thing I need to know about caring for them?

richard rendos

I think way more info is needed...how long has the tank been up, calcium/alkanity levels...what types of corals you got, etc. I think maybe it would be best to research the corals needs before buying, not after, but since you already got them...please provide as much info as you can and we will try to respond with helpful suggestions.

dreeves

Not to be an over opinionated d*ickhead or anything like that...but...there is always a but...
You should consider doing a far greater level of research into the animals you intend on keeping...they are living creatures of which do deserve the proper care from their keepers...
Knowledge is power...and in this hobby it is also a key to reducing needless animal deaths and migrain headaches...
Research everything prior to purchasing...know what you need, what the particular specimen needs, and everything is so much easier...
As I suggested to another poster a few days ago...buy yourself a fish and coral ID book and take it with you to your LFS trips...
As mentioned...there isn't enough info provided for anyone to adequately help you.

jlem

Take them back and read up on this board before you get anyfarther into this hobby. Read up on lights, live rock, and sand beds. Learn all you can before you invest a ton of money on more corals. If you cannot take them back then list as much info as you can on your tank setup and we will try and help you out. You are very limited with the size of tank you have.

logan15

ok guys calm down I believe she's talking about the corals she has listed in her sig the mushrooms and zoo's am I correct if so her lighting probly isnt too bad for them.She can keep them and read up on the board about them I would diffently replace your hood so you can have the right type of lighting for the kind of tank you want.They are right before you buy any other corals research learn read and ask questions.If the corals you bought aern't the mushrooms and zoo's in your profile please call the lfs and take them back in for credit and maybe you can get them again later on when your lighting conditions improve.
Dont mean to come off like a jerk,
Logan

islandgirl

Well...al-righty-then! I talked to my lfs and they said that they would only recommend me putting soft corals in my tank. So yes, the zoo's and mushrooms are the only ones in there. My lfs knows what kind of lighting I have (and actinic and flourescent)and said that would be fine for these. They haven't steered me wrong yet! Believe me....I asked all kinds of questions before putting them in the tank. I would have replaced my lighting...or better yet, not even got them if they said my lighting was bad. I have read 3 books on mostly fish....and don't have a problem researching on these corals. I actually did a search yesterday but didn't get as much information as I wanted too. Jlem... I have 40lbs of ls in my tank, why'd you ask about my sandbed?

stpabr

Recalling an Eclipse, the light is onle 18 watts for each bulb totaling 36 Watts.
There is an upgrade light system for the Eclipse consisting of a 55Watt Power Compact. I'll look up the link and post it

E

elan

you are going to find that everyone has their own opinions on this board, and many are quick to say, "you are doing it wrong because you searched for advice from your LFS and not this board!!" and yes, for the most part, i would agree with them, but, of the people I met at the LFS, some know the "current" information out there, and some still believe that the old way of doing things are still the best way to do things...... I prefer the new body of knowledge out there...
At my LFS, there are a few people that i think couldn’t keep damsels, and others that have the most amazing coral tanks. I have done my homework on here and on books i have read, and sometimes i ask questions i know answers to, just to see their response and then can base whether they are giving me good advice or not.
As far as your system, yes, the lighting you have will be able to "keep" most of the soft corals you have... but getting better lighting will help them grow quicker and get more color... JMO...
For feeding, I hear "DT's Phytoplankton" works well..
good luck with everything..

islandgirl

Thanks elan...your response was a breath of fresh air. I felt like everybody was judging me and I did the wrong thing. The last thing I want/would do would be to hurt any of my tank babies. I will research more on those corals and make everybody happy as they seem to be already ;) BTW, stpabr I will appreciate any information you can get on that upgrade....I'd look into that for sure!

dreeves

I cannot speak for everyone...but I myself was not judging you and indicating you should or should not take any advice from anywhere or anyone.
If I came across that way I do apologize...it wasn't my intentions.
It is your tank, and therefore you have the sole right to decide its course and any and all concerns relating to it.
I suggested more study on your part...so as when you do go anywhere, online or in your LFS to purchase something live for your tank...you have the informed answer of which you gained yourself.
Good luck with your endeavors.

islandgirl

Thanks dreeves, I know everybody has their own opinions on this website and that's why I love visiting it so much :D I value EVERYBODY'S opinion because in the long run it will benefit me and the decisions I make down the road. I will be doing a lot of research on these corals and future corals that I may one day want to come across. Does anyone have any good websites I can check out to read up on this stuff?

richard rendos

If mushrooms and zooanthids are the corals in question, then these are my suggestions. Provide adequate lighting, filtration, water quality, and supplements (i.e. alk/calc). These are photosynthetic corals which receive their nutrients from the light. Other than that, try to keep your nitrates below 20 ppm, and pH around 8.3. Try to keep the tank around 80 degrees F.

islandgirl

Thanks Richard! That was very good information that I needed to know. So far my lighting seems good (the corals have opened up and are blooming), water quality is good (got matrix to get my trates down to hopefully 0 - they're at 20 now, or where), I have my lighting in my tank on for 10 hrs, pH is 8.2, and my tank temperature is set at 78 degrees. So I may be on the right track, eh :) Once they are more established, I'll take pictures so you guys can see them ;)

wrassecal

What Richard said:D Also, I'd add a little DT's live phytoplankton for the corals. From what you are reporting, I'd say you are doing good, so far. Also sounds like you have an lfs that is giving you good advice, so far. Good idea to add your live rock slowly. That's what I did when I started out. Got a good start then added select pieces as I went along. It's like decorating;) The only thing you mention in your sig that I would caution you about is adding fish. Unless you plan on taking the yellow tail damsels back to the lfs (they can get to be aggressive territorial little devils) I would not add anymore fish to a 37gal. JMO

islandgirl

I actually got some Chromoplex from my lfs. They said to feed the corals with that through a turkey baster mixed with my food mix. We'll see how they like it tonight when I give them the food. My yellow tails have seemed to be quite easy to get along with so far...knock on wood! I won't be adding anything else for a while, at least till my tank is more stable. So far it seems everybody is happy! :D