got some inverts at the beach

nitro dave

i really want to know what kind of snail this is, it stay in the sand all the time. I set up a 10g invert tank just for this thought it would be fun.

derf

Hm, to me (I'm probably wrong though) the first one looks like a cone shell more than a conch. Be careful

nitro dave

are cone shells bad? thats why i would like the id befor i do anything, I really dont know if I will put anything in my display unless I find out that it is ok.

alyssia

Originally Posted by nitro dave
are cone shells bad? thats why i would like the id befor i do anything, I really dont know if I will put anything in my display unless I find out that it is ok.

I think Cone shells are the REALLY poisonous ones. Don't know what they look like though. The first one kind of looks like a cowrie to me.

nitro dave

well I have handled thes things and had like 5 of them in my hand for a good while when I was looking for crabs and snails at the beach so if one wanted to sting me it could have I guess. I just dont think it is the same thing but I could be wrong.

francisco5

The first pic eats the other pics. I ID the little guys in a shell book last time I was in Gulf Shores. I do not remember the name but I am pretty sure you don't want them around your clean up crew.

ophiura

The top is an olive snail.
One of the reasons I would strongly discourage anyone from just collecting stuff and identifying later is that this snail should be considered predatory, IMO. At least the one I had enjoyed large chunks of meaty food...
The second reason you should not do this is that you should NEVER return it to the wild.
If you keep it in a sump or FOWLR it should be fine, but you will have to feed it.
Collecting hermits is always hit or miss. Many grow in to large monsters.

T

tiberius

Living next to the Gulf, I have known people to have "Bay" tanks. They just throw stuff in there that they found at the beach. I would never put in my DT without quarantining it first. Plus, you don't know how much it would love to munch on your precious corals. You also don't know if these things are babies and will get to be 6 inches big!