Grade Your LFS

wangotango

my two favorites are about 20 minutes from me. one has more rare stuff and is more expensive, but the other has everything for a little cheaper. i'm on a first name basis with everyone at one, and i just know the people at the other. never had any problems with either one, but there fish arent always 100% healthy, but at least no dead. i'll give each a 9.5, very knowledgable people at each, and if they're not sure of something they'll look it up on the spot. caribbean forest and the reef shoppe are great!

renogaw

Aquadreams in Agawam: 7. great people, pretty good selection of fish/corals. they don't have maracyn or other meds and their price is very high compared to here and other lfs.
Coral Reef in Southwick: 6. nice guy to talk to, very limited stock on everything. does have empty snail shells though!! decent pricing compared to this site.
Emmon's fish in Simsbury/granby. 6. only been there a couple times. they have a few tanks for saltwater, but mainly is FW and dog/cat/bird stuff. his pricing was in line with this site on some, but expensive on others.
your pet's choice southwick: 0. absolutly disgusting store. fish constantly have ick, constantly getting beat on by fish they shouldnt be in the tank with.

crox

All stores in Brooklyn suck......I will a 5.0 to the best one around here but I would avarage them between a 2.0 and a 3.0.

katz

Coral Reef 10- a five minute drive from my house. Jason is cool and sells everything for a few dollars above cost. He says that he is not in it for the money but for the enjoyment of the hobby.
Amazing Aquarium- 6. Priced high, very little stock, and very dark inside. Ryan the owner is very nice though. 10 minutes from my house.
Saltwater Fantasy- 0
*****- 0 5 minutes from my house
***** #2- just opened but have not darkened their doors as of yet.
Katz

a2hotz

NE ohio is a hard place to find good deals.
Pecto- 2, All there tanks are totally gross and most fish have ich! I did get a AWSOME big long tentacle anenome from them and its doing awsome.
Wet Pets Plus- 4, Homemade tank systems with terrible decorations and worse prices but a decent selection and really smart staff.
The Hutch- 4, Seems to have improved everytime Ive been there but still has a bad selection, but awsome prices on inverts.
Pet Junction - 1, twice as expensive than anywhere Ive every seen and a crappy selection but Ill give them a 1 because they might give me a job!
Pet's Parlor - 4, expensive and seems to always have had an awsome selection the day before I got there and I missed out. The selection is still Ok and their family run staff is very smart.
Pet Supplies Plus - 8, They have no saltwater tanks so they you have to order your stuff then pick up your fish and things when their freshwater stuff comes in. The prices are extremely cheap and theres a 7 day garantee. About as safe as ordering online. I havent been disapointed with anything ive ordered. The only downside is that you can only order every 2 weeks and they dont let most people know about the list of things that can be ordered that has a much wider selection and rarer things.
ANYONE HAVE FRAGS FOR TRADE?

snowdancer

Well if we had a pet store i would rate it lol but the one we had was a 10 then ***** came in and bought them out so now no pet store

maelv

1: *****....6...they are helpful I haven't run across any sick fish (well that I can see from looking at them). I have bout my KILLERS from there (my EVIL damsels and a yellow tang)
2. Miles of Exotics...8...very helpful, and theey are a pet store so they deal in all pets. Very good, very nice...but rely on 1 person who I have only seen a couple of times...so when I have questions, they usually have to call and track her down at times....but pretty good selection and I bought an anenome there....about 7 minutes from my house.
3. Paradise Aquatics....10...the store is just GORGEOUS!!!!...they only deal in saltwater equipment and live stock. I believe it is a father and daughter owned store because they are always there and help out so much. I have a couple of the chocolate clowns on order (cause I didn't get them the first time I saw them and they sold them all) so I will buy a pair this weekend, should they get them. Great selection...Although they are 40 minutes from the house, they are close to my wife's job and are now going to be my preferred LFS...and I actually plan on ordering from this site when I get my new tank set up....a fairly long term project
AND FINALLY
4. ?????...bought my tank from him. And if we are on a scale of 1 - 10. That PR**K gets a -100....he was a jerk, but I got a pretty decent deal, so I made my purchase, but will smack him in the mouth if I see him out on the streets...LOL....
Okay I am done...thanks for reading. New to this hobby and hope to be as knowledgeable as most others on here.

a2hotz

Originally Posted by Tanks Alot
a2hotz where in ne ohio you located
Ravenna... 20 miles north of canton

tanks alot

pet parlor is not that expensive. the other paces i know are
Aquarium Adventure brooklyn
pet emporium strongsville pretty cheap havent had a fish die yet
Aquatic Technology Olmstead fall?? fish kinda expensive corals and rocks are good price. good knowledge if your talkin to owner

snapperboy

Cen-Cal (merced) The Reef Keeper - 10
Everything priced very reasonably or cheaper than having it shipped. Large selection of corals, and fish. Any additive you can think of, foods (live, frozen, dried, suspensions), some of the SWEETEST LR pieces from Indonesia in a huge LR tank. They sell LS, salts, pumps, gadgets, gizmos, RO-DI water, Pre-mix Ocean water. They also carry supplies for ponds, sell Koi + other pond fish + even carry freshwater fish (i have a freshwater puffer tank stocked from them). They also carry john deer + Harley Davidson clothes / acessories for cats/dogs.
Anyways if you live in merced county you should check them out. Randy + Cindy are very friendly and EXTREMELY experienced with reef keeping :happyfish
-0 - should be burned down
(after i save all the animals)