Gravity and salinity problem

J

jgipe307

How would i Raise the gravity and sallinity to the proper levels? The levels as of right ranges from 1.018 and 1.019. I have had it up for about a week now. And i can get the gravity to go any higher. I would appreciate any helpful advise. thank you guy you all are doing a good job.

catfishcity

if there is no livestock in it i would take some of the water out and mix some of your salt into it then add it to your tank slowly.the amount of salt you add would be determined by how much water you are going to be adding it to. i would then check the gravity and sality again in 30 min. this happens to me all the time when i am mixing new saltwater. for my 24 gallon i add about 2 cups and the salinity comes out at 1.025. hope this works.

dmjordan

make up some new saltwater with a higher salinty (1.023). use this water for top offs and a 10% water change. if you have anything live in your tank you want to raise the salinty slowly. no more than .002 every 24 hours. make sure your refractometer is calibrated properly or if you have a hydrometer make sure it is rinsed in fresh water after every use.

mr_x

top off with salted water, instead of fresh water until it reaches .025-.026 which is the salinity of the reefs where our livestock is collected.

J

jgipe307

Yes this is a new Saltwater fish aquarium. Right at this moment the only thing in it is live sand.

dragonzim

If you have nothing in there but sand so far I would mix up a few gallons around 1.030 and add it in. Wait a half hour or so and check your salinity again. If its still not high enough, drain off a few gallons and add in a few more gallons of 1.030 water till you get it in the range you want.