Gravity fed fuge/sump. Pics please?

suver569

Ok, so here's the deal. The house I'm buying has 2 built in tanks, with back access of about 3/4 of the tanks. They are both plexiglass. On top is a 100 gallon, on bottom (eye level) is the 125 gallon.
The bad part is, it would be really hard to get them out for any reason.
The plan is basically this. Gravity fed fuge on top (the 100 gallon) and the bottom tank (the 125) is going to be the display. I'm trying to figure out how to make the top tank look nice as a fuge, but nothing comes to mind.
I have submersiable mag5 for the circulation, and I was thinking a couple of 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 bulkheads on the top tank for overflowing back to the display.
I'm a little stuck on how to get the mag 5 to suck water up to the fuge though, since this is my first gravity fed. I dont have to suberse the mag keep in mind. I can mount it outside the tank easily.
I obviously want to have the power failure angle covered, so that the top tank wont drain in the event of power loss.
Ideas here?

redxlch

Originally posted by suver569
The bad part is, it would be really hard to get them out for any reason.
The plan is basically this. Gravity fed fuge on top (the 100 gallon) and the bottom tank (the 125) is going to be the display. I'm trying to figure out how to make the top tank look nice as a fuge, but nothing comes to mind.

You mean to use gravity to get the water down to the display, correct?

suver569

Originally posted by Squidd
Are either of the tanks "drilled" for overflows now...?

No, none are drilled, but they're plexiglass and easily accessable from the back, so I can drill them out.

suver569

Originally posted by RedXLCH
You mean to use gravity to get the water down to the display, correct?

Yes, sorry. Gravity is being used for return from the sump (up top) to the display (below the sump)

suver569

Originally posted by Squidd
:yes:

Hmm, wonder if I could take and build a corner of the tank into an in tank overflow, then drop the mag inside, and plumb up out of the overflow area. Possibly use black or dark blue acrylic, and bring the pieces all the way up to the top of the tank (or close to the top) and cut several slits in it for surface skimming. Wish I could draw on the computer, I suck at it.

chris19

That would work, youd just have to make sure not much water would drain back into the display if a outage occurs. Like have the bulkheads in the refugium near the top. Seahorses would be awesome in a fuge. Also where are you going to incorporate a protein skimmer.etc.
Chris