Gravity fed Skimmer???

m&e-c

I am running an AquaC Remora Pro with a mag 3 pump. I am planning on moving the skimmer to a sump in the basement. The sump is about 10' below the display tank. I want to use some of the "free" energy of the water flowing from the tank overflow to power the skimmer. I think the skimmer needs 4'-5' of head pressure and about 200 gph to work. I should have plenty of waterflow (Iwaki 70RLT as return) and head pressure. I will use a "T" and ball valves to divert and control the extra flow.
Can this be done???

lepete

Great idea. But, I dont think this will work. The spray induction system needs a lot of pressure to operate. Like maybe 50 psi (like city water). If you Tee it off, water will seek a less restrictive path to your sump.

m&e-c

The Mag 3 will only pump about 10 feet of head max. This equates to about 5 psi. I should have the 10 feet of head from the hight the water is falling. I think I can use a valve to throttle the flow, or put the "T" just below the tank so that I still have 10 feet of head.

acrylic51

It might work gravity feeding the system.....It's possible that you could run it as sort of like a recirc skimmer????
Try it and see