Great Dane Puppy

mimzy

WOW!!! BIIIIG happy boy!!!! hahahahahah him so super kyuuute!!!!!!!!
snooter kisses to the baroooteful boy!!!!

shaggyblz

I have a brindle Great Dane. He just turned 3. They are great dogs. They're great with kids and other dogs/cats. I also have a Maine Coon cat. They get along great. Best of luck with your new puppy.

tangwhispr

wow...any good dane breeder that i know requires you sign a contract to feed raw. My weim, rhodesian and Boerboel are all fed raw, at daycare they eat Evo, which is 44% protein and no grain.

keri

Originally Posted by TangWhispr
http:///forum/post/2781576
wow...any good dane breeder that i know requires you sign a contract to feed raw. My weim, rhodesian and Boerboel are all fed raw, at daycare they eat Evo, which is 44% protein and no grain.
Mmmm...salmonella....
Oh...did I say that out loud?!

dsgmm9

couple more he is such a big baby lol he wants to be a lap dog
he is only 12 weeks so he has a long time to learn

jeanheckle

He is gorgeous. I love big dogs as you might guess since I own 3 mastiffs. Just my 2 cents the harness collar isn't a good idea for big dogs, it actually encourages them to pull, (same type of collar used for sled dogs). I love the pics of him with the baby!

dsgmm9

Originally Posted by jeanheckle
http:///forum/post/2781691
He is gorgeous. I love big dogs as you might guess since I own 3 mastiffs. Just my 2 cents the harness collar isn't a good idea for big dogs, it actually encourages them to pull, (same type of collar used for sled dogs). I love the pics of him with the baby!
lol he would not walk at all with a collar so we had to try the harness he does great with my son i am so happy about that

ynotme4886

Great danes are great dogs..... only downside is the lifespan. I had one that made it to 12yrs.
I've had 4 over the years and when I move am planning on getting another one. I've had 3 blues and a harlequin. They are great with kids and have wonderful dispositions.
My last one was a harlequin...he weighed 165lbs at 6 months old and topped out at about 200lbs. His parents were over 200lbs and were built like a small horse.
My biggest advise.... obedience school. Its worth every penny.
I had a blue that was so well behaved I didn't need a leash. That dog wouldn't move from your side. We took her everywhere. If you told her to stay....she didn't move.
With a large dog its a thing you really should think about doing.
I also swore there was a food made for just Great Dane's but can't think of the name.
BTW really cute puppy.... are you going to have the ears done or leave them floppy.
Edit....forgot to mention to make sure you get a set of elevated bowls...it sounds dumb because your vet probably mentioned it but it helps with digestion. Its a must with really big dogs.

texasmetal

I can second the harness comment and the elevated bowls.
Harnesses are made for working dogs, to pull weight. Have you seen the video of the old lady flying away with the Great Dane pulling her along?
The elevated bowls help keep them from having a distended belly. We haven't bought any yet either, but our Dane likes to lay in the floor and eat.

S

smartorl

Elevated bowls are a must. I went for years with no icidences of bloat and had two in the same year. Both were operated on (and very expensive, I might add) but only one was able to be saved. To be honest, I would speak to your vet about it, just so you are aware of how serious the situation can be.
Very cute puppy! Agree on the harness as well. With any large breed dog, respect is paramount. I would strongly encourage puppy classes. I see so many large breed dogs that are so loving and friendly but they lack manners and are almost impossible for the owners to handle. Dane's are so easy to train because all they want to do is to please you. Good luck!

jeanheckle

Actually if you look on that dreaded bidding website you can order elevated bowls from a man who makes them and personalizes them.

jeanheckle

Originally Posted by dsgmm9
http:///forum/post/2781701
lol he would not walk at all with a collar so we had to try the harness he does great with my son i am so happy about that

I actually use the prong collars for my dogs, but they have rubber tips you can buy for them so you don't actually hurt the dog. You can't use any type of choke collar until the puppy is at least 4 months old.
The prong collar simulates the mother biting the dog in discipline, and with a dog that large they need to know you are boss.

dsgmm9

i made sure we had a elevated bowl before we even got the dog i just need to order a taller one for him now mac starts training classes on nov. 8 hopefully its worth it we also need to get a larger kennel lol the harness is no longer being used thanks to all the feedback never thought we would get so much great advice about our great dane from swf thanks for all the advice here are a few more pics he really tries to be a lap dog