Great starter fish

precator

I just got a cow fish and i love it. It's a really cool fish that doesn't hide in my lve rock. Any else have any recommendations on fish that do not hide in rocks?

lionfish

I have a good recomendation. Fire fish and clown fish are great fish. They stay out all the time ,and they are very hardy. I personally have one of each ,and I love them.
Lionfish

mr . salty

I've only got one fish that hides in the rock,my Barr gobie. There are many fish to choose from,but every fish has a different personality.I suggest you spend time looking at them at your LFS,and choose the ones that come to the glass to say "HI".Works for me. Who wants to spend money on a fish,no matter how cool,that you never see. STEVE

clownfish

What do you think of big tomato clowns? There are a lot at the LFS, and one of them is huge. He's maybe 5" and all alone in a tank. I will set up a 55 reef in September and I wonder if a tomato clown would be good. I really like the colors and the large size.

mr . salty

I am allways warry of a fish that's all alone in a tank at a fish store.there's usually a reason he's alone. Clownfish can be territorial,and one that size could cause quite a bit of dammage.....STEVE

clownfish

What if I got a smaller tomato clown? Would he necessarily get as big as the huge one? I don't really think he would. The other fish I want to have are:
coral beauty
a few damsels
2 perculas? Would a tomato be okay with 2 perculas, or would there be war in the aquarium? I do plan to get an anemone someday, and I know the tomato would claim it. If I shouldn't get perc clowns, what should I get instead? A tang maybe?

clownfish

P.S. One of the tomato clowns, I think sold by now, swam up to greet me when I looked at him. He was alone in a tank too, but he wasn't quite so large as the huge one. He seemed like a happy, calm fish. I know tomato clowns are big and territorial, but I have to have one. I don't think it would murder other tank inhabitants, would it?

lionfish

Hey Clownfish, I sugest putting a Coral Beauty in a reef tank. Got one yesterday best choice Ive made~! He does fight with the Royal Gramma sometimes. I dont know if he would do well with a large tomato clown but a small one would probably work. My Beauty does fine with my Percula Clown~!
LionFish~

clownfish

I've heard they occasionally bother corals but not too much. They are very nice fish, and nothing but the tomato clowns offer equal bang for the buck, IMO. If I got a coral beauty and a small tomato clown, would the clown leave the beauty alone when it gets bigger? I know how big a tomato can get, and I hope a small one wouldn't get too mean to other fish as he gets big.

lionfish

Some pygmy angels will pick at corals. One I know is the Flame Angel. But maybe 1 out of 100 Coral Beautys would eat coral. Mine doesnt pick at any of my coral. I dont think a tomato clown would be that agressive when its young but it may become agressive as it grows~!
LionFish~

fishgirl

If I ever get my reef tank, I'm trying to decide btween a coral beauty, flame angel, potter's angel, or bicolor angel for my pygmy angel slot. I'm leaning toward the bicolor cuz he's not as commonly kept as the others, but does anyone have some other ideas or suggestions (Please stay with the four I mentioned)? If not an angel at all, then would a hippo tang work with a yellow tang and a seabea clown?

lionfish

Hey Fishgirl , a Coral Beauty is a great reef fish~! I'm sure a bicolor angel would be good too. Potters angels I've heard are not that hardy and Flame Angels, although beautiful, can and will eat your coral. I personally would sugest a Coral Beauty. I have one in my reef tank and it doesn't hurt my coral or fight with my other fish. Also about the hippo tang I think it would be safe but there is always a chance they would fight~!
LionFish

clownfish

The coral beauty is a great reef fish. I know I will definitely have one. They sure are beauties. The colors are so intense, and coral beauties cost about half as much as a flame angel. If you have a big tank (100 gallons or more) you could have 2 or 3 pygmy angels in there. The half black angels are nice if you appreciate muted colors. Lemonpeel and herald's angels are nice too. There are a good number to choose from, even the resplendent angel if you're willing to go to Ascension Island or St. Helena and collect one (it would cost a FORTUNE however).

cat1

cat1
Congrats on your cow fish purchase they are very interesting fish.
FYI - did you know that they are VERY toxic to your tank is they die???
Sorry to put a damper on your new fish but better to know then be sorry later.

clownfish

That's why I don't want a cow fish. I think they're pretty cool, but I would hate to have one die and poison fish and corals.
I want to have:
tomato clown
2 percula clowns
coral beauty
maybe yellow tang
maybe scarlet hawkfish
maybe some damsels
Would the tomato leave the perculas and the beauty alone, as in not murder them or bother them too much?

catalinablue

Never put 2 species of clown together in a tank,no matter what the size.And you can't put two tomato clowns because they are mean!And no tomato clowns don't pick on coral beauties,just put the clown in last!

mr . salty

Catalinablue, I dissagree with your statement"never put two species of clowns in the same tank". Myself,as well as many others have a mix of clowns.Mine are fine together.I would reccomend to anyone to do it,so long as there tank size will allow it..........STEVE

clownfish

A very smart and experienced LFS owner told me that coral beauties will eat SPS. Is this true? I thought they left nearly all corals alone. I don't have to have SPS, but it makes me wonder.
It says in my big library book that half black and potters angels are "ideal" with inverts, and coral beauties are "generally well behaved".
Should I get a coral beauty or not? I love their colors, but I also like corals and I don't want a fish that will eat certain (or uncertain) corals. If not a coral beauty, what kind of angel do you recommend?

lionfish

Clownfish, trust me when I say a Coral Beauty will not pick at corals. Mine is very well behaved and doesnt pick at my corals. You should definitly try one~!
LionFish~