Green algae growing everywhere in tank...any solutions?

thedj

The green algae is like coline but grows much faster and covers the glass and rocks. Is there any means to removing this?
Thanks
Ian

beachbumtx

Some qeustions first...
How long has the tank been up and running? What type of lighting? How long are they on a day? How old are they? What is the level of nitrates in the tank? Is the tank near a window?

thedj

Originally posted by BeachBumTX
Some qeustions first...
How long has the tank been up and running? What type of lighting? How long are they on a day? How old are they? What is the level of nitrates in the tank? Is the tank near a window?

Tank has been running since October
Lighting is Ice Cap 430 VHO ballast with 1 50/50 and 1 actinic(thinking of adding another 50/50)
The lights run from 1pm till 9pm
The bulbs are only a couple months old
Ammon - 0
Nitrtite - 0
Nitrates - 0
Yes the tank is near a window, does not receive direct sunlight during the winter months.
So what are your thought?

thangbom

well bro.. i had somwhat of the same problem.. my 155 is next to a window.. i had a cream color curtain covering the window but i still had masive brown algea groth.. so i changed the cream curtain to a black 1.. now i have perdy much no algea....... so in other words.. i think u need to cover your window..... and the only ligh the tank should receive are your plug in light for u can control them....