green algae problem

batchelor

my 90 gallon has a green algae problem. it's fowlr, approximately 100 lbs of lr, a yellow tang, vlamingi tang, niger trigger, flame hawk, saddled puffer, six line wrasse, blue damsel and 20 hermits. i'm using a large protein skimmer and a wet/dry filter. the lighting is just "old school" flourescent bulbs on a timer from 12:00 to 10:00 pm. the back glass and all the live rock is covered by a thin layer of green algae. the tank will be a year old in december, i do a 25% water change every saturday. what are the possible contributing factors for the algae problem? do i need to change the lighting? the filtration? i'm pretty green, just like my tank. any advice would be appreciated.

scubaguy

Do you use tap water, if so test your tap. It might have high phosphates and other things. If you have not replaced your bulbs in a year I would also suggest that. Plus, how often and much do you feed? Algea is caused by excessive food left over.

reefreak29

Originally Posted by batchelor
my 90 gallon has a green algae problem. it's fowlr, approximately 100 lbs of lr, a yellow tang, vlamingi tang, niger trigger, flame hawk, saddled puffer, six line wrasse, blue damsel and 20 hermits. i'm using a large protein skimmer and a wet/dry filter. the lighting is just "old school" flourescent bulbs on a timer from 12:00 to 10:00 pm. the back glass and all the live rock is covered by a thin layer of green algae. the tank will be a year old in december, i do a 25% water change every saturday. what are the possible contributing factors for the algae problem? do i need to change the lighting? the filtration? i'm pretty green, just like my tank. any advice would be appreciated.

i think the source of your algae is from high nutrients from to many fish in a 90.
have you tested for nitrates and phosphates?
the flourescent bulbs in a salt water tank is just asking for algae in my opinion