green algae!

bears

Ok well yesterday when I came home from the movies there was green algae all over my glass,it is not hair algae it is just green, what is it from, could it be my lights, I keep my t5's(nova extreme 96wattson my 20gal.) on from 11am-9pm
what to do? :help:

bears

also
I have right now about 20x turnover
temp.78-79
sg-1.024-1.025
NO3-0
NO2-0
PH-8.2-8.3
alk-8dkh

reefreak29

its pretty normal to get algea on the glass , using a mag float helps really well , and mexican turbo snails help to , do u run a phosphate remover in your tank ? if not phosgaurd works well

bears

does carbon work as a phosphate remover?
Also I am going to try some water changes and not have my lights on as long, will that help remove it some?

reefreak29

Originally Posted by bears
does carbon work as a phosphate remover?
Also I am going to try some water changes and not have my lights on as long, will that help remove it some?
carbon will not remove phosphates it actually adds them, do u have a phos test kit?water changes should help , just remember its pretty normal i have to clean my glass every few days

bears

ok, thanks for your help, I just picked up a mag. float and I will also be getting some of that phosgaurd, also the guy I usually buy my stuff from has a good point and that the algae means that there is bacteria which is good considering this is a tank I made from a 90 gal. reef, and I am trying to make a mini reef