Green algae

mlf5135

I've been having a problem with green algae in my tank. I don't currentlyhave any snails or hermits because after I bought them my trigger just harrassed them until they died or just ate them. I have good water flow an my lights are on from 12 pm until 1am I do a water change once every 2 weeks but by the time 1 week is done the tank is already overgrown in the green algea, it's on the rocks sandandglass. Any suggestions?

S

shrimpy brains

13 hours is a very long photoperiod. Most people run their lights about 8 hours.

rslinger

What size tank do you have? What do you have skimmer sump refuge? What kinda bio load(how many fish,what kinds)? How often and what do you feed? Lots of questions but if you want answers stuff we gotta know.

rslinger

Ok so I read a other post by you and I see you have a predator tank. I have keep one in the past..150 no snails either. I ran a Berlin skimmer and a refuge on it. I never had an algae problem after the cheato started growing. I only feed my tank on Tuesday and Friday every week to.

kuja

Eat your self some sea urchins like a pincushion urchin. They have very thick outer shells and spikes covering their body for protection. They eat all forms and algae and I don't think your trigger would try and mess with them. I would only suggest starting with 1 or 2 since they have a HUGE appetite. I would suggest only running your lights for 8hrs. If you want lights to run longer than you should invest in moonlights. Moonlights will give light to your tank, but not grow algae.

S

siptang

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuja http:///forum/thread/385414/green-algae#post_3380089
Eat your self some sea urchins like a pincushion urchin. They have very thick outer shells and spikes covering their body for protection. They eat all forms and algae and I don't think your trigger would try and mess with them. I would only suggest starting with 1 or 2 since they have a HUGE appetite. I would suggest only running your lights for 8hrs. If you want lights to run longer than you should invest in moonlights. Moonlights will give light to your tank, but not grow algae.
Actually, my huma trigger and clown trigger kept nipping on the spikes until they ripped the thing to shreds. Clown actually bit the spike and lifted off the floor and and kept on dropping it... long story short, it didn't make it. Some how, alot of hermits and snails are still alive... strange...
I'm thinking that your phosphate lvl is really high. Get phosguard or any other equipments to bring that down and watch the bio load and food wastes.
Having a good skimmer really does help alot.

mlf5135

I just checked my phosphate levels and they are normal however my skimmer is rather cheap one because I didn't have enough money at the time. I have been looking into getting a new one though. Any suggestions for that? Also I wont be able to do a water change for a couple weeks because I just sprained my ankle badly and tore a ligiment so i can't walk on it. So it's safe to say my tank won't be looking so good for the next couple of weeks.

1guydude

How cheap? I purchased one off an auction site and to be honest it was pos....totally worthless! I like CPRs, remoraCs, and tunze...is this for in-sump or HOB?

1guydude

well mine was jebo....for in-sump look into octopus. I dont have a sump so i guess im not much help lol.