Green algae

drsteve2001

My tank about a week ago started getting green algae in my sand...I do water changes once per week 10 percent, I lightly vacuumed it twice the past two water changes and it is back within a day, also have left the lights off for a day and a half twice....and bought a new halide Phoenix bulb since the bulb was about 10 months old....nothing worked? Any other suggestions?

deejeff442

yep i hear ya.my tank has had algae for months. just the other day i found that the r/o water i have been making has a ton of phosphates in it.you need to find the source of the food the algae is eating.i have the same bulbs as you.not to say they are bad bulbs but timing wise my algae has gotten worse since i put those in.

drsteve2001

I have had the bulb for the past 10 months and no problem, I replaced it thinking that it was old and may be the issue...nope

deejeff442

yea the new bulbs are more intense.some like to take a few hours off a day with new bulbs then add it back over a couple weeks

deejeff442

yep i was making my r/o and found it had 5.0 phosphates.i got a new r/o and its now zero.of course i had zero in the tank because the algae was eating it up.it is now starting to die off after a week

novahobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejeff442 http:///t/389578/green-algae#post_3445549
yep i was making my r/o and found it had 5.0 phosphates.i got a new r/o and its now zero.of course i had zero in the tank because the algae was eating it up.it is now starting to die off after a week
Did you get a new RO membrane, or a whole new RODI??