Green Bali Sea Hare

shrimpi

they will wipe out the algae no problem. once its gone, give the slug to a friend who needs him or youll have to supplement his diet. They get kinda big so unless you have a decent size tank (who knows what that is) I wouldnt get one.
they do emit an ink when they are stressed, and alot. I beleive it is toxic, and you should have good chemical filtration.
they like shaded areas.
they eat caulerpa, so if you have any in your DT, say goodbye.
they are sensative to copper like any other invert.
they leave a slimy goo mess when they lay eggs, and ALOT of eggs.
As with any slug/nudi, care should be taken to cover powerheads and overflows, even though the seahare is bigger than a nudi, its still a giant goo ball.
thats all I know.

farslayer

Now that's some good information :) I have a 125G tank, no fuge and no caulerpa, but some nice algae. I'd have no problems with feeding him, I was just afraid that perhaps they were not reef safe. I also have a Fluval FX5 canister filter with a LOT of activated carbon. Think he'd be ok then?

cowfishrule

i wouldnt bother with the sea hare.
find the source of the problem and eliminate it.
lighting, feeding, phosphates, etc.

farslayer

That's the problem, nitrates, phosphates are at 0, RO/DI water is being used. I think my nitrate production has increased after I added a tang, so I need more live rock, but the sea hare is a lot less expensive :)
How about a regular sea hare instead of this green bali one?

mushroomss

Farslayer,What type of carbon do you use?there is a difference and thta is most likely where your problem is comin form.This is a thing that is little known n these message boards.Thre is regular carbon and research grade carbon.Research grade carbon like black diamond ont release phosphates into your aquarium and the regular cheap stuff will.Just thought i would let you know since you run carbon and have a hair algae problem.Could be the main source of your problem

farslayer

I think the main source is that I run light on rock and just added a Naso about two weeks ago to the tank (its a 125). I just don't like the rocky look, but will be adding some in the near future. I basically need the sea hare for damage control right now, but I'll feed the guy when he does his job. I think they look really freakin' cool, so he'll have a good home. Well, as soon as a take care of my inlets :)

T

tiberius

I would be worried about the toxins it emits if it dies. Why not trade it back to the store when it gets your hair algae under control. Your hair algae will most likely come back if you don't change anything. But till then it could die. I have always had hair algae in my tank. I pull out clumps of it and find pods living in it. Plus my male clownfish likes to play in a clump of it near their home. Scrubbing rocks doesn't rock either.

farslayer

Yeah, the toxins are a concern, but I would assume I could buffer it in a 125 running carbon. I'd actually prefer to keep the guy if I could. I wonder if anyone on this board has had long term success with them?

T

tiberius

Originally Posted by Farslayer
Yeah, the toxins are a concern, but I would assume I could buffer it in a 125 running carbon. I'd actually prefer to keep the guy if I could. I wonder if anyone on this board has had long term success with them?
Did you do a search on sea hare?

joyfnp

I have two sea hares in a 75g with a bad hair algae problem. The hares are not nearly as good as Mexican Turbos for my particular problems. I still have a tremendous problem on the back glass and plan on doing some scraping and a water change this weekend. I also added a UV sterilizer, and that's supposed to help, too.
I can't do too much rearranging though. Last weekend, I did a major scrub and lost my maroon and yellow tang to the stress.

jmick

I've found that seahares can eat a lot of hair algae and are good when you are also treating the source of the problem. Have also found that their waste containes a lot of hair algae in it and they make a lot of waste, be sure to siphon it out and be diligent about it.

T

tiberius

Originally Posted by joyfnp
I have two sea hares in a 75g with a bad hair algae problem. The hares are not nearly as good as Mexican Turbos for my particular problems. I still have a tremendous problem on the back glass and plan on doing some scraping and a water change this weekend. I also added a UV sterilizer, and that's supposed to help, too.
I can't do too much rearranging though. Last weekend, I did a major scrub and lost my maroon and yellow tang to the stress.
Sorry to hear about your loss.

bellanavis

Seahares can be very helpfull withany kind of alge, and they can release toxins when stressed, I have had mine for over a year, in a 125 gallon, with no problems. I have mine with triggers, a puffer, a wrasse, and they do not bother with them. They lay eggs, but its not messy, its just looks like a large pile of thick string. I have done plenty/lots/TONS of research on them, if you have any other questions, I would be more then happy to answer them. I love my seahares, they are very social, I would keep at least 2 together, they like to be in groups. BUT, I would find the problem, what is causing the alge and try to treat it, and you can feed the seahare alge strips, and mine even eat silversides.

farslayer

I'm definitely going to keep you in mind then since you've got long term success. Unfortunately, my Naso passed away yesterday. I found him underneath of a rock, so I think he tried to burrow and got smashed :( I'm almost positive that I simply don't have enough rock, but I am going to break out an old 29G high tank and start a fuge. I just need to get an overflow box and a return pump to get going. I'm also going to order some rock off of another site once some of my clients pay since I really don't have enough in there.
Thanks everybody for the help!

T

tiberius

Originally Posted by Farslayer
I'm definitely going to keep you in mind then since you've got long term success. Unfortunately, my Naso passed away yesterday. I found him underneath of a rock, so I think he tried to burrow and got smashed :( I'm almost positive that I simply don't have enough rock, but I am going to break out an old 29G high tank and start a fuge. I just need to get an overflow box and a return pump to get going. I'm also going to order some rock off of another site once some of my clients pay since I really don't have enough in there.
Thanks everybody for the help!
So sorry to hear about your Naso. Do you have any caves in your rock work? My yellow tang loves to get in his and I just created 2 more for him. Just wondering if the tang was trying to get in a hole and the rock fell on him.

farslayer

That's what I'm afraid happened. It was in a cave area he liked. I just don't seem to be able to keep tangs, I just have no luck. I keep them fed, and he ate so well, anything I gave him, mysis, krill, algae sheets, then all of a sudden BAM! Dead. It really stinks, I have great luck with corals, inverts, everything except for tangs.