Green Brittle Questions

bearfan-28

I have heard nothing but bad things on this board about green brittles, but everywhere else I read I read nothing but good things about them. Can you guys give me the real low down on the pros and cons of this star

bigarn

IMO stay away from starfish....They're either not reef safe... hard to keep...etc.
Serpents are the only ones I've heard about where the good points out weigh the bad. :D

spartan

Green Brittles can be a problem when the get big. I had one. I couldn't figure out where my small fish were disappearing to (i.e. a few gobies became missing). One night I shined a flshlight into my tank. I was very disappointed to see that the green brittle had captured my coral beauty angel and was in the process of killing it. Unfortunately, the coral beauty did not make it. I then captured the green hunter and took him to a LFS. I have heard of people that have had them with no problems, but I am not lucky enough to be one of them. Hope this true-life tale helps......

bearfan-28

I had a sand sifter once on the advice of my lfs. That was the last time I bought something without researching it first. After I read all of the neg post about them on this board I traded him in. My 4 yr old son was really mad because it was his favorite thing. I told him that I would get a different one. I have waited about 4 months for my lfs to get a brittle. Ty ordered it for me so I'll feel doublely bad about not taking him. Should I give him A try, he is only about 3 in. across. What do you think.

spartan

Mine was close to 16 inches (estimate) across when he caused the problems... You'll probably be ok with a small one. Keep an eye on him as he grows. You may have to trade him in later.

spartan

I would spot feed him with mysis shrimp probably 2 or 3 times a week. It was a battle though. My yellow tang is a thief!

zotl

I had a green brittle that ate my xenia and my colt coral (caught him eating both.) I gave him to the lfs. This was a while ago. Now I wish i'd kept him because xenia is actually a bigger nuissance than he was.