Green Brittle Star, Is it reef safe?

natclanwy

I just ordered a Green brittle star from this web site, and was just wondering just how reef safe they are. I just visited a couple of web sites and one says that they definatly are not reef safe because they will disturbe or damage corals while looking for food and will eat fish. The other says that they need to be monitored because when they get bigger they may resort to eating fish.
I am wondering if I need to start looking for a new home for my star or if it will be okay, my tank has a Yellow tang, lawnmower blennie, spotted dragonet, coral banded shrimp, and peppermint shrimp.

hbradyr

i have 2,a green and a black brittle star in my 72 gal bow, they have been in there for over a year and do just fine. i have never had a problem with them.i make sure that they are spot fed a least twice a week.i spot feed them some shrimp,clam or squid. they will come out during the day when i feed the fish formula 2 pellets. IMO if you keep it fed well it should be just fine.

mudplayerx

I believe green brittle stars are a hit or miss species. It depends on the temperament of the individual in your tank. You will need to monitor your new brittle star after you acclimate it and add it to the tank. Keep a close eye on it for a week or so.
That being said, there are ways to reduce the chance of your brittle star from becoming predatory. First and foremost is: keep it well-fed. I feed mine a portion of food roughly the size of 1/4 of the center of the animal. It is fed 3-4 times a week.
Another important issue is when you are feeding your corals. You must feed your brittle star at the same time or there is a very good chance it will try to snatch the food from a coral; possibly damaging it in the process.
Following these guidelines I have had a green brittle star in my tank for well over a year and a half. It has grown from about 6" in diameter to over a foot!

reefkprz

supposedly they are reef safe but IMO they are the least safe species of brittle because of their ravenous hunger and their blinding speed (for a starfish) when hungry greens can catch and consume even healthy fish, usually when sleeping but sometimes when the fish is hiding in its favorite hole. burrowwing and cave dwelling fish are most susceptible. I would advise caution.

kogle

I have had issues with mine eating fish but since then I've been feeding him more and he's content to wait for a free meal. If you let these guys get hungry they will look for food. My GBS is the best member of my clean up crew. I'd recomend one to you but you LMB may end up being dinner...

fishgeek01

Originally Posted by KOgle
I have had issues with mine eating fish but since then I've been feeding him more and he's content to wait for a free meal. If you let these guys get hungry they will look for food. My GBS is the best member of my clean up crew. I'd recomend one to you but you LMB may end up being dinner...
How did the sand work out for you kogle not to hijack or anything

fishgeek01

Also to stay on topic, i had a brown brittle that seemed to be very hungry so i starte to feed it silversides. it was really neat to watch it swallow the silverside and blow up like a golf ball on top. unfortunatly it about doubled in size because of the feedings then went on a rampage eating expenssive fish. I couldn't keep the thing fed enough. eventually i had to get it out which meant tearing my reef apart. it was more hassle than it was worth and he is now chasing fish in the big ocean in the sky

mudplayerx

Originally Posted by Fishgeek01
Also to stay on topic, i had a brown brittle that seemed to be very hungry so i starte to feed it silversides. it was really neat to watch it swallow the silverside and blow up like a golf ball on top. unfortunatly it about doubled in size because of the feedings then went on a rampage eating expenssive fish. I couldn't keep the thing fed enough. eventually i had to get it out which meant tearing my reef apart. it was more hassle than it was worth and he is now chasing fish in the big ocean in the sky
You really should take animals that are problem back to the pet store, not destroy them. It is not their fault that we put them into situations where they exibit natural behavior that we don't approve of.
Who knows, you just might get store credit next time. :joy:

1journeyman

Originally Posted by mudplayerx
You really should take animals that are problem back to the pet store, not destroy them. It is not their fault that we put them into situations where they exibit natural behavior that we don't approve of.
Who knows, you just might get store credit next time. :joy:
Agreed... can't blame a starfish for not researching it's needs..
I wouldn't risk it. Go with another Brittle or Serpent Star.

fishgeek01

Oh, sorry guys to give you that impression, I am in the same boat as you and would never, i agree that it was not its fault, however i still do feel responsible, i gave it to a friend that was starting a reef tank, he didn't follow directions very well and it didnt last 3 weeks in his tank. I would never... sorry to have given that impression

natclanwy

Thanks for the responses, I already have the star in my tank so I will see how it goes and if I start losing fish I will find it a new home. My LMB is large about 3.5"-4" so maybe he will be okay for a while, how big do the Green brittle stars get?

mudplayerx

Glad to hear it Fishgeek :)
As far as how big they get... mine has gotten to about 1 foot across in a little under 2 years. I've seen one in the pet store that was about a foot and a half across.