Green Brittle Star Question

shnabbles

I need to get some peppermint shrimp because im having a aiptasia out break.
Iv bought them before and they seem to dissapear in a day or two..
I suspect the Green Brittle Star....
Here is my question if it is the brittle star can i hand feed the star fish so he doesnt get hungry and go after the peppermint shrimps?
Or is hand feeding a brittle star silver sides not a smart practise?

alyssia

I handfeed my brittle silverlslides. He is a brown one though. Green brittle stars are known predators. Spot feeding them may, or may not, stop them from being predators.

rykna

Definately a predator. Oneof my reef books refers to them as "the green goblin". I hadone a while back Beautiful critters. But they have a varacious apities and will fill their tummies with anything they find. Especially when they get big. Their bodies get to a 3 inch diameter aboutthe size of the bottomof a coffee cup and their legs span can reach over the edges of a dinner plate. If I ere ever to have one again I put it in it's own tank.

As for the aptasia get some joe's juice.

shnabbles

I call mine the monster... well hopefully a silver side every other day or so will be enough to keep him full lol.

blb9

I have a green brittle star with a leg span of over a foot, and it has not eaten any of my snails, my crab, my fish, or my coral.

ophiura

It is highly variable from individual to individual. You can and should spot feed, absolutely - can be done with shrimp pellets or anything meaty, but it may not stop them. However, note that IMO they are also accused of a lot that they may not be responsible for.

rykna

Originally Posted by BLB9
I have a green brittle star with a leg span of over a foot, and it has not eaten any of my snails, my crab, my fish, or my coral.
WOW!! Do you have a pic of the star. They are beautiful.

gatorwpb

Here's a pic of mine. He just got moved to the fuge

Like Ophiura said, I cant be sure but I do suspect him of eating a couple snails (not the ones in the pic) and maybe a queen conch.

alyssia

Wow, those are pretty. My brown brittle is all hairy and spidery looking. I'm scared to death of him.

speg

Originally Posted by alyssia
Wow, those are pretty. My brown brittle is all hairy and spidery looking. I'm scared to death of him.

When I first got a saltwater tank(and knew nothing about them) and I put some live rock in there.... guess what jumped out of a rock... and guess what nearly made me pee my pants? :p

alyssia

Originally Posted by Speg
When I first got a saltwater tank(and knew nothing about them) and I put some live rock in there.... guess what jumped out of a rock... and guess what nearly made me pee my pants? :p

:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: