green carpet anemone

tim19

i just bought a green carpet anemone and he is pretty big.he is now on the sand do i move him on the rock or just leave him? I should feed him twice a week? thanks :joy:

S

scoobs

You picked a hard creature to start with :p I have never tried one myself but know a few exp. reef keepers that have had problems with them after a few months.

viper_930

Originally Posted by tim19
i am a fish only person just starting with coral thanks for your help
In that case I'm curious to know, what lighting system do you have?

hot883

They do need GREAT lighting not pc's (I do not know what you currently have) and need to be fed regulary. THEY ARE KNOWN FISH EATERS.

chadman

indeed...also be careful with temperatures in your tank...we just lost a purple carpet and after much research we think that it was our water which got up to almost 84 degrees with mh's on was the culprit

tim19

I have an orbit 96x2 action I did some reseach before buying and alot of people didnt say it was very hard to keep?Is my light good enough? thanks

mitaylor

I have a saddleback carpet anemone in my 72 gallon bow front and I absolutely love him. I will tell you from what I have read, they do require a lot of light. Mine started out on the bottom of my tank. The next thing I know, he's moving all over the place causing many avalanches. He has finally chosen a spot wedged between two rocks up high near the lights. I have a 260 watt pc with moon lights. I talked with my LSF and they said this was plenty. As far as feedings are concerned, I was told to feed him twice a week, but he does not eat large pieces of shrimp the way my long tentacle does. However, I did notice that my Sebae does take pieces of shrimp to the anemone after feedings. That's the other thing, I have two black and white perculas and they absolutely love this anemone. My husband bought me a Sebae clown and a Sebae anemone. The Sebae clown left its Sebae anemone for this carpet and will not give it back to the perculas! :) So all in all, I would say just follow the advice of experts, but at the same time know that every person experiences something different with their tanks and their critters. Hope this helped!

hot883

Originally Posted by tim19
I have an orbit 96x2 action I did some reseach before buying and alot of people didnt say it was very hard to keep?Is my light good enough? thanks
What size of tank? I would say no though as stated above they need intense lighting.