Green Chromis Babies

casper1875

I'm so excited. I was checking my tank last night to see if my clown fish eggs had hatched and found all these little fry swimming everywhere. It was not my clown fish the eggs are still there. It has to be my green chromis. I have five of them. Does anyone know if the chromis are hard to raise? I just ordered a book on raising clowns, it should be here any day. Sorry I ramble. I have to get to work. I'll check back over lunch.
75 gallon
3 False Perc Clown Fish
1 LMB
1 Golden Head Sleeper Goby
5 Green Chromis

casper1875

I'm thinking that since the Green Chromis and the Clowns are from the Damsel family that breeding should be the same. Does anyone know?

fmarini

First off, congrats.
normally i would mention that most likely what your seeing is/are mysid shrimp or some little shrimp in the tank, esp your statement about checking the tank at night. but assuming these little "fry" are not shrimp, then yes chromis fry is a possiblity. However chromis fry are extremely difficult, but not impossible to raise. The larvae are very small, requiring smaller microfoods as a starter, but it has been done before.I would say if your good at raising clownfish, then chromis fry will be the next level of difficulty
I will recommend you purchase Matt Wittenrich's book "illustrated guide to breeding marine fish" about fish breeding as he covers Damsels and clowns

casper1875

Originally Posted by FMarini
http:///forum/post/2689084
First off, congrats.
normally i would mention that most likely what your seeing is/are mysid shrimp or some little shrimp in the tank, esp your statement about checking the tank at night. but assuming these little "fry" are not shrimp, then yes chromis fry is a possiblity. However chromis fry are extremely difficult, but not impossible to raise. The larvae are very small, requiring smaller microfoods as a starter, but it has been done before.I would say if your good at raising clownfish, then chromis fry will be the next level of difficulty
I will recommend you purchase Matt Wittenrich's book "illustrated guide to breeding marine fish" about fish breeding as he covers Damsels and clowns
Thank you so much for your reply. I would love to try to raise some fish.
This is fry, not shrimp. They look like the clown fry. My clown fry hatched last night. I just got the book "Clownfishes" by Joyce D. Wilkerson. I'll look for the book that you suggested.
Do you know if my fish will stop breeding if I move them? I'm getting things ready to setup a 180 gallon. I'm shooting for the end of summer. If I have to I could let the 75 gallon stay where I have it.

casper1875

I have not found anymore. If they are like my clownfish it could be awhile. It was over a month before they laided eggs a second time. Now they lay eggs on a steady basis. I keep watching the chromis, but nothing yet.

howie418

I have been breeding clownfish for about a year. Once you get some rotifers going it is pretty easy. Most of the equipment you will need you should already have. A how to breed clownfish site that is pretty good can be found at BreedClownfish.com