Green chromis vanshied

knackerjack

Ok, a few months ago, I had three green chromis in a tank... I re arranged the rocks, and over night, one of them just disappeared!
After much searching in and around the tank to be sure it didn't jump out, I concluded the it must have jumped out and been eaten by a cat.
Well, I rearranged the rocks again, and now the other two have vanished without a trace.
I was wondering if there's something in Chromis's behavior that might explain this, do they burrow? COuld they be under the sand?
I checked all the filters and filter tubin, they're not there.
I also have a condalactys anemone in the tank... could that have gotten them?
Could they just be hiding really well?

corky

Dude, I couldn't beleive your post. I had a green chromi for about 7-8 months in 29gal. and today I couldn't find him. What a coincidence, it must be green chromi jumping day. I beleive my wife's cat finished him.

tangdude

I have a percula clown that the same thing just happened. I was feeding and noticed that he was missing and I got very frustrated trying to find him. I think my tank critters must have eaten him though. :eek:

corky

You may not beleive this but actually I also lost a percula clown in the same tank. My wife found it this morning behind the tank as she was looking for the missing green chromi. I better put the covers back on before I have something in common with everyone on this board. :)

craigj

I started out my 72 FO with 5 green chromis to cycle the tank. Two have disappeared without a trace. I'm pretty sure that they died somewhere in my live rock. Green chromis suck...

novice150

Wow, I am suprised to hear I am not the only one with this problem. Three weeks ago I bought four green chromis, cause I like the way they school. A week later I have 3, then two. They just keep vanishing without a trace. To make a long story short, I dont have much of a school left! :eek:

1seaton

I lost two green chromas & thought they were dead & about a week later they both came out from behind all the rock. I guess they just want to be alone at times.

the don

The same thing happened to a cleaner wrasse of mine, he disappeared one day. About a week later after we were sure our coral banded got him, the wrasse re-appeared with no explanation, and was fine, no marks or any such things. After that we decided to name him houdini. So dont worry the chromis for a few days, hopefully he will show back up.

bryan01601

I too bought 5 gree cromis for them to school in my 92 gallon. the next day I only had 4 then the next day 3 and now I only have two. I finally caught the

[hr]
that was causing the disaperence. One of the Hermit crabs I had was about the size of a half dollar. I saw him chowing down on it behind a piece of rock. I have since come to the conclution that this is where my cleaner shrimp (two of them) had disapeared to. so long Mr. Crab :mad:

seaweed

I had four Greenies but one died. Luckily this happened during the day, because within seconds of it dying the scarlet shrimp and hermit crabs started feasting on it. There was absolutely nothing left by the next day, not even bones.

landmeier

My cleaner wrasse has vanished too. I hope he comes out after a few days of hiding and isn't dead like I had thought.