green clown goby wont eat

N

nihoa

our lil green clown goby seems quite hungry and eagerly grabs at food but spits everything back out. we have tried him with thawed mysis shrimp, sinking pellets, and flake food and he spits it all out. we have been sure to give him lots of stuff in small small pieces but he doesnt seem to be swallowing anything. he may even be starting to look a little thin behind the pec fins. any thoughts?

joe____17

How long have you had him? What are the water perimeters like? Any other tank mates?
Have you tried garlic? It's supposed to help picky eaters.

N

nihoa

we have had him 2 weeks, tanks mates are 2 false percula clowns, hermits, snails and a choc chip star. our levels are goot but nitrate has gone up to near 20ppm the last week. weve been water changing it to get it down.
weve not tried garlic, will give the a go

N

nihoa

nah the clowns and him get along fine. ive never seen much interaction between them at all. at feeding time the goby darts out and grabs food even when the clowns are quite close but he spits it out soon after returning to his perch

Put copepods in your tank. I had the same issue with my clown goby. He wouldn't eat during the light cycle. He would eat the copepods at night when the lights were off. Also mine spits the food out but is actually sucking the meat out of the mysis shells. I thought the same but as I looked closer, the shells would get spit out with less in them. This might be the case. If it's not, I would try the garlic as earlier recommended.
Best of luck..... Clown gobies are awesome little fish.

Originally Posted by HollywoodDiver
http:///forum/post/2910453
Put copepods in your tank. I had the same issue with my clown goby. He wouldn't eat during the light cycle. He would eat the copepods at night when the lights were off. Also mine spits the food out but is actually sucking the meat out of the mysis shells. I thought the same but as I looked closer, the shells would get spit out with less in them. This might be the case. If it's not, I would try the garlic as earlier recommended.
Best of luck..... Clown gobies are awesome little fish.
+1 on this. My clown goby was much more active at night and did most of his eating then also. If he has been around 2 weeks he's eating something.

N

nihoa

thank you all. when i went to feed that night he seemed to have had enough spitting up and now devours anything we put in the tank. weirdo. he even tackles huge pieces of mysis shrimp that he shouldnt be able to fit in his mouth let alone swallow. but i will keep the garlic trick in mind should i end up with another finicky eater.