green cocoon

drewster

Alright, i might be seeing things because its hidden underneath a rock but i've noticed that there is a decent size looking cocoon in my tank. At least i think it is. It's green in color with light green spider veins running across it. Its probably 1 1/2 inches in length. It's pretty big. Should i be worried? Am i growing a little alien in my tank?

eric

This is cool, things like this can make you lose sleep and or race home after work just to keep up with the actions. the only thing that would bother me is the unknown a cocoon can have 1 living organisim or thousands and if it is undesireable man what a mess. I do beleve I would quarantine the thing. Have you installed any new additions to you tank? Please let us know.

krazzydart

Clay and eric are right.... it could be something cool or something evil(ha ha) you should get a closer look at it though.... a Quarintine tank is where I would put the thing.... or it could be a sponge forming...

kmatysek

I wouldn't think you'd want to move it to quarintine if it's attached to a rock.
Be sure to let us know when it 'hatches'!

sod

i think it is a type of sponge from fiji or anywhere in the indopacific. does it look like small strands almost like broken fiber glass if it does email me i might have a scentific name

drewster

ok....the suspense was killing me so i took the rock this cocoon like thing was hiding under and picked it up. I turned it over and i'm still clueless as to what it is. After i got enough guts i touched it to see what it was like. It has a soft skin-like shell but the inside is hard. It doesn't seem to be just in that spot either. It looks like a part of it runs into the rock somewhere. It's hard to explain. I wish i had a digital camera so i could visually show you people. I also noticed another cocoon type thing underneath the rock. It was all white and was perfectly round and looked like a cotton ball. Who knows. I did find a brittle starfish though when i picked up the rock. Yay!

kass

Sounds like a sea squirt to me but I can't say without seeing it. They can be quite large. I have a green one and an orange one that came in on live rock. The small white one maybe a sponge? Just guessing.

clayton

The white thing sounds like a sponge - I have acouple. Look for tiny openings through which water exits, all sponges have them in one form or another.
Try shining a tourch through the 'cocoon' to see if you can make any detail of it's hard ********. Sounds interesting, keep us posted.

dennish

Originally posted by clayton:
...Try shining a tourch through the 'cocoon' to see if you can make any detail of it's hard ********...

US Translation:
Torch = Flashlight.
I'd hate to see you rip the leg off your dining room table, wrap in in oil soaked cloth, set it on fire, and stick it in your tank!!!!
-Dennis

[This message has been edited by DennisH (edited 05-11-2000).]

drewster

hehe...i figured he meant a flashlight. After all, i tried lighting the dining table leg thing and it would keep going out as soon as i put it in the water.
j/k I will examine it further on Saturday when i take my tank apart to move. I feel like taking a scalpel and disecting the thing but I'll wait a bit longer. It's been there a couple weeks now i think and no changes. I'll keep you posted.

sod

i put in my profile but it didnt show up so i dont know whats wrong with that. my email address is instantsod@aol.com but sence your asking the scientific name is nara nematifera but when you said it was hard it sounds like it could be a clareous sponge

clayton

Originally posted by DennisH:
US Translation:
Torch = Flashlight.
I'd hate to see you rip the leg off your dining room table, wrap in in oil soaked cloth, set it on fire, and stick it in your tank!!!!
-Dennis

[This message has been edited by DennisH (edited 05-11-2000).]

Sorry old chaps! Having trouble getting the old nugget around this Yankie Doodle stuff, what!
Ta-Ta!