Green Crab eating corals

tvan1

I have a flower pot and today I saw a green crab eating the flower pot. Is there anyway to prevent this awful act? You experts at Saltwater should know better NOT to include the green crab in the invert package...

adrian

Is your flower pot dead or dying, most reef keeper no better than to keep a Gonipora, no pun intended. Is this green crab an emerald crab, mithrax sp.? Look at the claws, are they pointy or flat?

tvan1

The flower pot is very alive. It opens every day with the tentacles extended about 2 inches. I think the crab is emerald type with the pointy claws

rhonda

I found out the hard way about having ANY type of crabs in my reef tank. I recently bought 3 emerald crabs, from advice from others off this website, and they were all munching on my hammer. I have taken every on of the crabs out except for my sallylightfoot. I will never buy a $3 crab that is suppose to be safe and cathching it eating a $100 piece of coral. Good luck!!!

Sorry to hear the problems with crabs. Well I would not have a reef without emeralds. these guys are my favs and do a good job.one thing I would like to get out of our reef , are the brittle stars that we recieved with our cleanup crew, not that they are not intresting but I have lost all of our peppermint shrimp to them. I seen it happen, but cant get them out of the rocks !!! Oh well everyone has there opinion....fixit ;)