green goniopora

superman59

I have had my green goniopora for over a month now and it is starting to turn brown but still opens nicely. do i need to feed it what sould i do? everything in my tank looks great and i have mh lights.

piscian

I made the mistake of buying alviopora(sp) from my LFS. He told us that it was a relatively hardy coral. After reasearching it, I found this species and the one that you have are not hardy at all. Mine started doing the same thing that yours did. It would still come out but everyday it came out a little less until it finally died.

sato

I have had a little luck with these 2 species in the past, both are often found in relatively shallow waters in lagoons which usually have high nitrate buildups. So they seem to do better in "dirty"(nutrient rich) water with pretty high light and slack flow, they also very much appreciate regular feeding with some sort of small food such as mysids or even brine.
This is a reason they tend to do poorly in the pristine water that alot of reefers keep in their tanks.

john kelly

Originally Posted by superman59
I have had my green goniopora for over a month now and it is starting to turn brown but still opens nicely. do i need to feed it what sould i do? everything in my tank looks great and i have mh lights.
You mean it is less green and more brownish colored in the tentacles and polyps?
Having some brown (from zooxanthellae) in the tissue is a GOOD thing.