Green Grass or w/e it is wont go away

fatmatt

In my 20 ggal tank there is this green grass growin in the tank and wont go away also a dark purple/brown stuff on the glass, any tips on how to get it away

J

jdragunas

dark purple stuff is most likely coraline algae. It's good, but if it's blocking your view, you can easily remove it. If you have a glass tank, you can just take a razor blade to it.
The green grass is most likely hair algae, which indicates a nitrate/phosphate problem, as those are what the algae eats and lives off of. If you do not have a test kit for these things, you should purchase them, and test your water. Then, go from there. You normally get phosphates from either tap water, or food that contains phosphate. If you're using tap water, you need to stop immediately! Even with conditioner, tap water is bad. The conditioner only neutralizes the minerals and whatnot in tap water, but it doesn't remove them. This is the #1 cause of algae problems in aquariums. You should start using RO water (reverse osmosis) asap!

fatmatt

I filled up the tank with R/O i went to the store and bought 25 gallons had to use 2 carts, and after i ran out of water i used tap water because i could not get a ride to the store every 2 weeks, im only 15 cant drive so is there any way i can use my tap water safly like stress coat or w.e its called

J

jdragunas

not really... you could get a RO unit and set it up at your house... You can get a cheap unit for around $70 off of that great auction website... If not, you'll be dealing with algae problems forever.

uberlink

What do people think of the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Tapwater Filter? I've had one for years, which I used to use with my freshwater system and am now using with my saltwater system. They're a pretty reasonably priced means of getting R/O water, although the filters have to be replaced often enough that they might not be cost effective in the longer run with a larger system. But are these effective at removing phosphates, etc?

J

jdragunas

i've never heard of this, so i'm not sure. The only way to tell if they're effective is to test the water coming out of them. Do you have a phosphate test kit? If not, i suggest getting one if you have algae problems.

uberlink

Originally Posted by jdragunas
i've never heard of this, so i'm not sure. The only way to tell if they're effective is to test the water coming out of them. Do you have a phosphate test kit? If not, i suggest getting one if you have algae problems.
I'll get a phosphate test kit. If I find that my phosphates are high (likely, as I'm getting some algae), is the best way to solve that through water changes? Or is there some means of actually removing it from the water that's in there? I think I went too long between filter changes on my tapwater filter, and may have introduced some phosphates as a result. Thanks.

trainfever

There is a product called Phosguard. You put it in a filter bag just as you would charcoal. Place it somewhere in your filter and it will remove the phosphates from your water.

J

jdragunas

yep, it's a phosphate sponge, there's a few different brands, including the above mentioned phosguard. You have to make sure to read the directions on it thoroughly before puting it in your tank. Most phosphate sponges can only be left in a system for 8-12 hours. After that, they begin to break down, releasing even more phosphates back into your system, so make sure you use it properly.