green hair algae

@knight

I know there have been a lot of posts on this before, but my question is a little different.
Most all of us have had a bout or 2 (sometimes an ongoing WW3) with hair algae.
I am wondering what solutions have been effective for you all in controlling this problem? i.e. what worked?

webnstuff

the latest rage seems to be "clean up crew"
I am told that the rule of thumb is to have up to 1 alge crab red/blue leg per gallon.
I currently have 50 + about 20 snails (several kinds) as well as emerald crabs 2

raderman

come on @knight, you should know this, emerald crabs. I think you should turn to page two in your aquarium book!
You should not have algae problems if your system is in balance! (nutrient imbalance)I read that on page two in the botany book................

rickt4du

Mine got out of control..tried everything..lastly, I spent a couple of hours pruning and pulling...filled up a qt container (chinese food soup container) of hair. Then I began a 4 week vigil of Phosguard treatments and added an emerald crab. Thats been 6 weeks now, I have no hair algae and I can stop it before it gets too far gone if it starts back. I fought this for 6 months so I am very happy now. My problem is my water, I need to get an RO/DI unit. Still shopping.