Green hair algae

Question. Can old bulbs start a green hair problem? Just curious because I have developed a bad hair problem in my tank. I'm begining to wonder if the lamps are contributing to this. The are close to a year old, so I'm thinking they could be a major factor.
Any ideas?
Tank is 55 gallon, 4 PC lights, 1.024 SG, everything else seems in check. Temp 79-80.
Thanks,
Andy:)

barracuda

Old bulbs can cause the green hair algae outbreak. But i'm not sure that your bulbs, which are about 1 year old will do that. What is your water source (i.e. RO/tap)? Could be due to overfeeding, overdosing some additives. Check for phosphates as mentioned in the previous post.

I've also noticed that I now have this red algae type stuff growing over my liverock. It's starting to grow rapidly. The green stuff is growing rapidy also.
I use RO water from thr LFS and still have a problem. I mean it's everywhere. I've done big water changes and it will look fine for a week, or so then it starts coming back. I've removed the liverock and scrubbed this crap off and it comes back again.
I'm too the point now where I just want to remove all the rock and just have fish only. The tank has been set-up for over 3 years now and has started to go down hill. AHHHHHHHH ALGAE SCUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Andy :mad:

barracuda

Can you get your water tested for phosphates (either RO and tank water)? Please post us results. How often do you feed your fish and how much? What additives do you add and how often?

nerdy

The red algae could be red slime algae (cyno). But I think that old bulbs will definately caude a green algae outbreak!